[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Macs in magnetic fields

peter@cs.uwa.oz.au (Peter Dodd) (03/06/91)

Hello,

 A group within our Physics department have a 5 Tesla solenoid for testing
properties of magnetic materials. The machine is controlled via serial cables
driven by a SE30 and HyperCard. It is required that the Mac be close to the
machine for the operator to see what is happening. When the field is at 5T
nearby colour monitors are visibly distorted and the SE's screen is just
starting to distort.

 The group are about to take delivery of a 12T solenoid, so my question is :

   Will a hard disk on SE30 start losing data in this field ?

Peter Dodd
Computer Science Dept
University of Western Australia
peter@cs.uwa.oz.au

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.032150.4764@uniwa.uwa.oz> peter@cs.uwa.oz.au writes:

> A group within our Physics department have a 5 Tesla solenoid for testing
>properties of magnetic materials. The machine is controlled via serial cables
>driven by a SE30 and HyperCard. It is required that the Mac be close to the
>machine for the operator to see what is happening. When the field is at 5T
>nearby colour monitors are visibly distorted and the SE's screen is just
>starting to distort.

> The group are about to take delivery of a 12T solenoid, so my question is :

>   Will a hard disk on SE30 start losing data in this field ?

It's hard to tell, Peter.  Just how far away from the magnet IS the Mac?
What is the orientation of the field with respect to the spin axis of the
disk?  What is the residual field measured at the Mac (I presume it is not
5T or 12T unless you put the Mac INSIDE the solenoid).

Tell you what,... why not find a physicist who specializes in the properties
of magnetic materials, and ask him?  I hope you can find one....

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)