[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Getting more out of your Hard Drive

sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (03/05/91)

	Did you know that, if you use the Hard Drive installer that
comes wth the Macintosh System Software, and after formatting,
installing ONE partition, that you can get an extra Meg out of your
Hard Drive?
	Where did all that extra space come from?  Answer:
				A/UX

       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   sl242030@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

minich@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (03/06/91)

by sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey):

| 	Did you know that, if you use the Hard Drive installer that
| comes wth the Macintosh System Software, and after formatting,
| installing ONE partition, that you can get an extra Meg out of your
| Hard Drive?
| 	Where did all that extra space come from?  Answer:
| 				A/UX

Bzzzt. I think the real problem is just a dumb default. (LaserWriter 6.0
users can sympathize.) If you crank up "HD SC Setup" and click on the
partition button, you'll get a nice little display that shows how the
space on your disk is used (assuming it was formatted with the Apple
software, of course.) The following figures are from my disk, a Qunatum
40MB drive that shipped inside my SE/30 and was formatted upon arrival
(it was shipped unformatted) by HD SC Setup with the "initialize" button,
ie the default partition map.

Title         Name      Firs Block   Size     Type                Partition Num
-----         ----      ----------   ----     ----                -------------
Partition Map Apple              1     35.5K  Apple_Partition_Map 1
* Mac Driver  Macintosh         64     16  K  Apple_Driver        2
* HD40        MacOS             96  40000  K  Apple_HFS           0
Free Space    Extra          80096    966.5K  Apple_Free          3

First, the block size on this drive is 512 bytes, so the 40,000K size
for the HD40 (my disk name, BTW) is 40,1000/1024 = 39.06MB, not 40MB.
Also note that "Free Space" partition, number 3. There's another 960K
to be had on that darn disk! Well, here's what I should have done if
I knew about this stuff when the Mac first came in: start up the Mac
off of a disk other than the Apple one you want to "expand", crank up
HD SC Setup, select that hard disk with the Drive button. Hit the
partion button and resize the Mac partition to take all the grey colored
space (by dragging the edge of the block in the picture.) I haven't done
this yet but rest assured I will as soon as something happens to my
hard disk, like a crash or (yikes) a backup. Yes, I'm too dumb (cheap?)
to make that little effort. <sigh> Self abuse.
  Anyhow, you'll probably be asked if you REALLY want to do this, as I
assume it would probably trash the partition. So, you have to backup
first or be prepared to reinstall everything, which won't be hard if
all you need is the installer disks from Apple...
  The Bzzt at the top was just to say that this "extra" disk space isn't
reserved for A/UX (it's way to small for that!). I suspect but cannot
prove that is is the result of using drives from different
manufacturers. Instead of figuring out how many blocks it could snarf,
HD SC Setup probably assumes 40,000 bytes is fine and divies the rest up
as needed <?> for the partition map, the driver, the the "extra" space.
  I'd like to see how much space is wasted on various Apple labeled HDs
in other people's Macs, like the 80 and 160MB ones. Any volunteers?
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "I'm not discouraging others from using
|   U    | - "Ackphtth"             |  continue to do the crossword."  M. Ho

sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (03/06/91)

	I got a letter from someone (sorry I don't give credits, but I
lost his letter), that said that the extra space was where bad sector
information was stored.  I've been running mine this way since August,
and haven't had any problems. (Of course, I don't have any bad
sectors, either.)
	What I didn't mention in my first post was that you had to do
a custom install, and yes, you have to backup first because it blanks
everything.
	A technician I do some work with at a Macintosh dealership
said that the blank space was set aside for A/UX, but he's going to
call Apple in the next couple of days to get the real scoop.

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (03/06/91)

In article <> minich@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>by sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey):

>| installing ONE partition, that you can get an extra Meg out of your
>| Hard Drive?

>Bzzzt. I think the real problem is just a dumb default. (LaserWriter 6.0

>* HD40        MacOS             96  40000  K  Apple_HFS           0
>Free Space    Extra          80096    966.5K  Apple_Free          3

>First, the block size on this drive is 512 bytes, so the 40,000K size
>for the HD40 (my disk name, BTW) is 40,1000/1024 = 39.06MB, not 40MB.

Notice the "block size". Files are allocated in blocks on the
disk, and I _think_ that the default value is chosen so that
the block size won't go over a limit, and double. Perhaps using
all the space on the drive means going up to 1K block size, and
that would mean a _lot_ more "wasted" space at the end of each
file (since files always occupy whole blocks)

						h+@nada.kth.se
						Jon W{tte

"The IM-IV file manager chapter documents zillions of calls, all of which
seem to do almost the same thing and none of which seem to do what I want
them to do."  --  Juri Munkki in comp.sys.mac.programmer

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.140018.5729@nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>Notice the "block size". Files are allocated in blocks on the
>disk, and I _think_ that the default value is chosen so that
>the block size won't go over a limit, and double. Perhaps using

According to my Silverlining manual, it's a volume's (or partition's)
maximum size that determines the block size. There's a couple of articles
in the latest installment of the info-mac digest on this topic, specifically
about some poor chap with a gargantuan HD who has found him/herself with a
15K minimum allocation size for files. Would someone who's able shed some
more detailed light on the relationship between maximum volume size and
block size, and maybe provide us with a table showing at what volume sizes
the block size goes from 512K to 1024K, then to the next higher block size,
etc. , or maybe the formula for figuring it out for ourselves? This would
greatly help people with large HD's decide how small to partition to avoid
obscenely large block sizes, and utilize more of their storage capacity.
The Silverlining manual I mentioned before makes a passing reference to a
'allocation bit table', having a fixed size of 32K. I feel therein lies the
answer to my question, but I can't at the moment figure out how to use this
bit of info to construct the table I seek. Anyone?

	Den

   /Dennis M. Swanson --> swansond@csus.edu         /   "He was as calm as a/
  /Macintosh Lab Assistant/Computer Science Student/   Perry Como groupie."/
 /University Computing and Communications Services/       -- Sledge Hammer/
/California State University, Sacramento         /"Harness the Macpower!"/