[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can Mac II have 2 internal hard drives?

josip@src.umd.edu (Josip Loncaric) (03/07/91)

My Mac II has an internal 40Mb Seagate drive (supplied by Apple) which I plan
to replace with a Quantum 210 drive.  My question is, what should I do with the
old 40Mb Seagate unit:

(1) Can I somehow make both drives work as internal drives?  Obviously, the
connectors are made for a single unit, but is there a kit which would allow
one to have two internal hard drives in a Macintosh II?  It seems that the
Seagate is small enough to fit instead of the second floppy drive...  but
electrical connections are a problem.

(2) If the above does not work, where can I get an inexpensive kit to
convert the 40Mb Seagate into an external drive?  How much could this
alternative cost?  (The Seagate looks like a 3.5" half-height unit).

(3) MacWorld has had quite a few problems in using huge hard disks
as startup drives.  Apparently, Apple's SCSI is not a completely standard
implementation.  Some manufacturers must have special "Mac" versions of their
drives.  Since Apple uses Quantum a lot, I'd assume Quantum 210 would be OK.
Does anyone have a different experience?

(4) Is "Apple HD SC Setup" utility capable of handling any disk Apple sells?
If so, and if Apple sells the Quantum 210 without Apple customization, then
I'd be certain that driver software will keep pace with new system software.
Any comments?

Essentially, I'm hoping that the Quantum 210 will be a reliable piece of
hardware, and that I can make some use of my old drive.  Compatibility with
present and future software is a must, and I'm not too keen on paying for
third party software as a part of the drive price.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
but I'd rather buy the software I really need separately.

Please respond by EMail, I'll summarize for the net.

--
Josip Loncaric / SRC / U. of Maryland / <josip@ra.src.umd.edu>
!            Today's Special: Opinions....$0.02 each         !

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.152800.22160@ra.src.umd.edu> josip@src.umd.edu (Josip Loncaric) writes:

>My Mac II has an internal 40Mb Seagate drive (supplied by Apple) which I plan
>toreplace with a Quantum 210 drive.  My question is, what should I do with the
>old 40Mb Seagate unit:

I have just done this with my CMS PRO60-II/i (not a 3.5" half-height).
My understanding is that 2 3.5" HDs can be put in a II.

>(1) Can I somehow make both drives work as internal drives?  Obviously, the
>connectors are made for a single unit, but is there a kit which would allow
>one to have two internal hard drives in a Macintosh II?  It seems that the
>Seagate is small enough to fit instead of the second floppy drive...  but
>electrical connections are a problem.

I understand the drives both go behind the floppy bays.  They would
probably fit the opposite of how they're now installed.

>(2) If the above does not work, where can I get an inexpensive kit to
>convert the 40Mb Seagate into an external drive?  How much could this
>alternative cost?  (The Seagate looks like a 3.5" half-height unit).

Lots of mail orders sell conversion kits from $99 to $199.  No idea
how good they are.

>(3) MacWorld has had quite a few problems in using huge hard disks
>as startup drives.  Apparently, Apple's SCSI is not a completely standard
>implementation.  Some manufacturers must have special "Mac" versions of their
>drives.  Since Apple uses Quantum a lot, I'd assume Quantum 210 would be OK.
>Does anyone have a different experience?

I'm using SilverLining.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California