[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac+ power supply

rashid@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert G Rashid) (03/04/91)

I have a mac+ with what appears to be a slightly low voltage power
supply.  I had previously complained in c.s.m.h. about bombs when
inserting disks, which lead to a recommendation to purchase Larry Pina's
excellent book on mac upgrade and repairs.  With this book and my
limited skills, I have been monitoring the 5 volt supply from the disk
drive port.  What I see is a voltage that starts at about 4.98 and, over
the period of an hour, rises to 5.01 or 5.02.  This rise is consistent,
and usually, when the voltage is at 5.01(2), the voltage drop when
inserting a disk does not cause a system crash or reset.

My question(s):
 - Is this voltage change normal?
 - Is it ok to set the initial voltage (when cold) to 5.0 volts? (if set
to 5.0 volts initially, will the 'warm' voltage of 5.3(4) be too much?)

Many thanks for any thoughts.
--
  | Bob Rashid                |   Rashid.1@osu.edu |
  | College of Dentistry      |   305 W. 12th Ave. |

davisson@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar4.022126.29609@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rashid@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert G Rashid) writes:
>I have a mac+ with what appears to be a slightly low voltage power
>supply.  I had previously complained in c.s.m.h. about bombs when
>inserting disks, which lead to a recommendation to purchase Larry Pina's
>excellent book on mac upgrade and repairs.  With this book and my
>limited skills, I have been monitoring the 5 volt supply from the disk
>drive port.  What I see is a voltage that starts at about 4.98 and, over
>the period of an hour, rises to 5.01 or 5.02.  This rise is consistent,
>and usually, when the voltage is at 5.01(2), the voltage drop when
>inserting a disk does not cause a system crash or reset.
>
>My question(s):
> - Is this voltage change normal?
> - Is it ok to set the initial voltage (when cold) to 5.0 volts? (if set
>to 5.0 volts initially, will the 'warm' voltage of 5.3(4) be too much?)

A bit of variation is normal, and the amount you're seeing is (in my
experience) not enough to worry about.  I've never seen a Mac 128/512/
Plus that'd run at 5.00 but not at 4.80.  (Though there's quite a bit of
variation -- some'll run almost perfectly at 4.5, others'll fail almost
completely at 4.75.)

If I remember your original posting right, you have a snap-on memory
upgrade, and are getting 0300FF errors, right?  The 03 means a RAM check
failed, and the 00FF means bits 0-7 are failing and 8-15 are ok (the
Plus has a 16-bit bus) (if it's FF00, bits 0-7 are ok and 8-15 are
failing).  I'd suspect that the upgrade's connection with the mother-
board is flaky at some point (and presumably the jar of a disk insert
is triggering the problem).  Loosing half the bus like that tends to
suggest that one of the bus drivers (the 74LS244's at one end of the
CPU) isn't getting everything it needs.  Try pulling the motherboard
out and giving the upgrade a wiggle -- don't pull it off, just move it
up and down a hair to wipe the contact surfaces.  This is *not* a
permanent fix; the only permanent fix is to not have a snap-on upgrade.
:-(

>Many thanks for any thoughts.
>--
>  | Bob Rashid                |   Rashid.1@osu.edu |
>  | College of Dentistry      |   305 W. 12th Ave. |
>  | The Ohio State University | Columbus, OH 43210 |

No problem; hope this helps.

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141