[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Booting from external drives...

v564huce@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Allen Hsu) (03/07/91)

Hi!
	For those having trouble setting the boot drive, here's the solution.
There's this little CDEV (Control Panel Device) call *Startup Device*.  Call
this little puppy up in the control panel and you'll get a listing all HD
partitions.  Just set one of them to startup and close it all.  An alternative
that also works is to highlight the partition/drive you want to set as startup,
go to the *Special* menu and select *set startup*.  it'll give you the needo
dialog box asking if you want to set ****** to startup with *****.  say yes and
reboot.  That's it.  One of those two ought to work.

					Allen Hsu

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/09/91)

In article <63725@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v564huce@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>There's this little CDEV (Control Panel Device) call *Startup Device*.  Call
>this little puppy up in the control panel and you'll get a listing all HD
>partitions.  Just set one of them to startup and close it all.  An alternative
>that also works is to highlight the partition/drive you want to set as startup,
>go to the *Special* menu and select *set startup*.  it'll give you the needo
>dialog box asking if you want to set ****** to startup with *****.  say yes and
>reboot.  That's it.  One of those two ought to work.

Do these work with a Plus?  I'm waiting on a Quantum P105S to add to
our Seagate ST157N (45 Meg).  My understanding is that on the Plus,
the SCSI addresses determine which disk is the startup disk.  True?
If so, is it the disk with the highest address that starts up, or
with the lowest?  Thanks.

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled

mjb@cs.brown.edu (Manish Butte) (03/10/91)

Since the question of booting from external drives has been brought up, I have a question which has been plaguing me for a while.  I want to force booting from an external hard drive (assume there is an internal hard drive as well) given that there is also a floppy inserted in the internal floppy drive.

I know command-shift-delete upon startup boots from an external drive (which one, I'm not sure), but it doesn't work if there's a floppy in the floppy drive.

The Startup Device Control Panel also doesn't override the presence of a floppy.

Any ideas/help?

Manish Butte
mjb@cs.brown.edu
manish@brownvm.brown.edu