[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Muchos sick screen on Plus

MUSJJH@lure.latrobe.edu.au (03/07/91)

Yo!

A friend of mine has a Plus which badly needs to have its screen
adjusted. The problem (which is getting worse all the time) is that
the top of the screen/image is gradually heading south, making everything
on the desktop appear as though it has just been pushed out of the end of a
car compactor. Can I disassemble the case and make adjustments? What do
I need to twiddle with?

Many thanks,

Jason Hellwege					La Trobe Uni, Melbourne, Oz.

mfader@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Fader) (03/10/91)

In article <5126@lure.latrobe.edu.au> MUSJJH@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>Yo!
>
>A friend of mine has a Plus which badly needs to have its screen
>adjusted. The problem (which is getting worse all the time) is that
>the top of the screen/image is gradually heading south, making everything
>on the desktop appear as though it has just been pushed out of the end of a
>car compactor. Can I disassemble the case and make adjustments? What do
>I need to twiddle with?

Remove the case with a TORX screwdriver, available wherever RAM is sold.

On the outside of the inner vertical panel (can't remember which side,
but it's either on the left or right) are 3 potentiometers that can be adjusted
with a regular (small) screwdriver: one controls screen height, one controls
screen width, and the third controls screen voltage; all have labels, and "+"
and "-" markers to guide adjustment (I would guess clockwise is +, but I can't
remember right now).

I've made adjustments myself several times. If you turn on the machine with
the cover off so you can see the effect of your adjustments immediately, be
sure to stand/sit at the front or side of the machine, with your hands well
away from the exposed circuitry and electron gun in the back, or you may fry
yourself or your Mac.  Actually, even if the machine is off, keep your hands
clear, as it can still store a nasty charge.

The adjustment is really quite simple and safe, since the controls are on the
outside once the cover is removed; there's no need to be poking around near
any dangerous or fragile components.