[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need help with failing 800k drive

jcs@zodiac.phy.duke.edu (03/07/91)

Dear folks,
Last night the 800k internal drive in my mac (1985 128 upgraded
to a 512k and finally third party SCSI and 1meg) stopped working.
In particular, it seemed to work fine reading a disk, but would take
a very long (minutes) time writing a file (a few k) at which
point any subsequent disk accesses would result in the "This
is an unreadable disk, shall I initialize it..." dialog. Writing
folders to disk yielded some files unwritable.

This morning I swapped the drive with a 800k spare (from my brother's
SE HD upgrade). The new drive works ok now (I had to use the new
drive but the original cable, using the SE cable caused the drive
to try to eject and hang the mac at startup; I don't know why).

The old drive had dust and cat hair in it, not to much but some.
(I have two cats and a fan in the handle which may suck air through
the drive...).

My questions are:
a) How do I clean and realign the bad drive?
b) Will I have any trouble using the SE drive in my Mac pseudo-Plus?
c) What is the difference between the SE and Plus cables?
d) I have an old 400k drive case (the drive is dead). Is there a
   prescribed way for hooking the repaied internal as an external?

(I have checked Pina's book with no success...)
Thanks in advance,
John Swartz
--
	John C. Swartz					1-919-684-8279
	Duke University Dept. of Physics		jcs@phy.duke.edu

davisson@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (03/10/91)

In article <22046@duke.cs.duke.edu> jcs@zodiac.phy.duke.edu writes:
>[A tale of floppy drive woe and swapping.]
>My questions are:
>a) How do I clean and realign the bad drive?

Realigning is difficult and shouldn't be necessary (unless one of the
heads is bent or something, in which case you're SOL anyway).  For
cleaning the heads you want a mild solvent and a nonabrasive lint-free
applicator.  A VCR head-cleaning kit (the kind with the foam-tipped
swabs) should do nicely.  The main thing you have to watch out for is
bending something -- especially any of the sheet metal hinges they use
on the upper head arm and the heads themselves.

>b) Will I have any trouble using the SE drive in my Mac pseudo-Plus?

You shouldn't.  Apple uses the same mechanisms in both.

>c) What is the difference between the SE and Plus cables?

Your 512's cable (it has a yellow stripe marking wire #1, rather than
red, right?) has wires 9 and 20 cut or missing (look closely at the
ends of the cable).  The new-style 800K drives run the eject motor
continuously if these are connected (the reason it works on the SE is
that the SE has nothing connected to these pins on the motherboard).

>d) I have an old 400k drive case (the drive is dead). Is there a
>   prescribed way for hooking the repaied internal as an external?

I know someone who did this, but I'm not sure exactly what he had to do.
I expect that, while you may have a little trouble getting the mounting
right, the cabling should be straightforward.  Just use the cable from
the old 400K drive.  It doesn't feed the signal (actually the -12V power
supply) through to pin 9, but it does feed the PWM (motor speed control)
through to pin 20.  I *think* that the PWM signal won't cause a problem,
but if it does, cut the gray wire at one end of the connector.

(Mind you, I don't *guarantee* it'll work...)

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141