[comp.sys.mac.hardware] My kingdom for a laser printer!!!!

v564huce@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Allen Hsu) (03/04/91)

Yo! Y'all!
	Well I'm back again.  It seems that there has been a whole lot
questions surrounding laser printers.  I'm no expert, but I do read a whole lot
and so I'll distill what I read and what I have used into one really LONG
posting.  This is really intended for beginners, so those of you who are lucky
enough to know the differences or have one (care to donate to me??????) you can
skip this part.

Notes:  I have not had any PERSONAL experience with these printers
except where I have noted, and these are NOT recommendations, all I'm
doing is trying to provide info on the basic types that are availible.  If
I make a typo and someone sees that my specs are wrong, please correct me.

Non-postscript types:  Generally, these are SCSI based, so for those of y'all
a bit cloudy on the termination issue, well be careful and ask lots of
questions :-)   What these machines lack is the ability to output Postscript.
This is a PDL (Page Description Language) that allows for all sorts of neat and
fun effects (like bezier curves).  This is also the format used by Adobe Type
Manager to get their variable size fonts. Buying ATM and one of these printers
will still save you several hundred dollars and give you excellent looking text
without the expense.  If all you need is just text with limited or no graphics,
these are an excellent choice.  Note also that SCSI port means non-networkable.

GCC PLP series.  GCC has been around for a while and
having seen one of their older PLPs in action, I'd say it's not too bad at all.
GCC has recently dropped the price on their basic PLP II to $999.00.  The
engine maker is Oki (see IBM-ish Oki-400 laser for more details) .  As with
many non-Canon engines, the recyclables are replaced in pieces (toner, OPC,
etc.)  This printer is not fast, but even their older Richo-based PLP gave good
results when used with ATM.  The PLP IIS is a more expensive model that adds 1
meg or RAM to speed thigns up.  I don't suggest it as it is too expensive
($1900.00 last I heard).  Also, GCC bundels some Bitstream fonts with their
machines.  This printer is also nice for those who are not sure about the
future.  GCC offers an additional cost upgrade to their PLP II model.  The
engine is rated at 4 pages per minute.

Apple Personal LaserWriter IISC:  Well, it's an Apple.  VERY pricy, even at the
educational discounts here at SUNY ($1350 or so).  But, it is an Apple :-).
The PLW IISC uses a Canon made, 4 PPM engine.  Basically making this printer
very similar to an Hewlett-Packard IIP.  The really nice parts of this printer
are: 1)  Dual paper trays and Apple has thoughtfully included new drivers to
take advantage of them; 2) Upgradbility.  Like GCC, the Apple machine can be
upgraded to a full Postscript printer for a hefty fee.  It will cost you about
$200-300 more than buying one outright.

Full postscript machines:  These are "true" laser printers.  The reason they
cost so much is 1)  They include their own processors that means every
postscript printer has effectively a slow Macintosh inside that takes care of
all the image processing tasks; 2)  Adobe.  They invented it, they make you pay
for it.  I had heard that on some printers Apple was paying something like $500
per printer in royalties to Adobe. Humm, John Warnock, you can be a real sharp
bastard sometimes. ;-)
	The advantages of having one of these wonderful beasties include the
ability to network them (by way of AppleTalk or you can get an EtherPrint box
like we have and run it off EtherNet network, more about this if you ask for
it), it's faster due to the built-in processor, and some applications would
very much appreciate it if you output them to a PostScript printer (Photoshop,
Freehand, etc., all high end stuff).

Apple Personal LaserWriter IINT.  Well, it's an Apple.  Like it's bretheren,
the IISC, it's a Canon engine.  The 12 mhz 68000 is adequate for most tasks,
but for serious graphics or long printing tasks, it falls behind.  The dual
paper tray (like the IISC) is very handy for small Univ. departments or
businesses where letterhead is used once in a while.  The smaller tray holds 50
sheets while the larger tray holds 200.  Univ. prices put it at around $2180.00
or so.

GCC BLP II:  Back again with GCC.  The BLP IIS is probably the fastest of the
68000 based types, but at $2900 it's overpriced.  The PLP II now comes in at
$2000.00 and might be a good deal.  It's reasonably fast, but the 4 PPM engine
will cut you off at the knees if you do bulk text work.  I understand that the
"sleep" mode of the BLP II is a very nice feature (it turns itself to an "idle"
status after a few minutes of inactivity).

NEC Silentwriter 2 model 90:  Not to be confused with the Model 290.  This is
presently the price champ at a retail of $2495.  Street prices seem to run
around the $1400-1500 range.  Pretty basic all around type of printer, 35
fonts, 250 sheet paper tray, and average speed.  The engine is a Minolta one
that outputs at 6 PPM (pretty fast for a "personal" type printer).  NEC also
claims a consumable life of 6000 pages.  Like the Canon engine, the consumables
(read:toner) come in a single cartridge and they say it'll cost about $125.00.
The only real downside of this printer is the footprint.  For those with
limited desk space, this one will be a beast.  The problem is the paper tray
sticks out in front of the printer and adds about 10 inches to the length.

Hewlett Packard stuff:  Don't, it's an IBM thing.  HPs are fine if you ave an
IBM, but upgrading it to do Postscript costs too much and it's too slow.
Numbers I have seen put it about half as fast as other printers.  Put your
money elsewhere.

QMS-410:  This is probably the fastest of all of the printers.  It's basically
a LaserWriter IINTX (Apple's top-of-the-line) controller board married to an HP
IIP engine.  So, for text work, it's slow, but for complex graphics, this is
the machine.  Having used an NTX at work, if you do serious graphics and are
on a budget, this is the machine.  Street prices seem to run about $2000 or so.
Oh, I almost forgot, the basic printer only has a 50 sheet paper tray, so the
optional (about $200 retail) 200 sheet tray is highly recommended.

TI MicroLaser:  About the only printer that I can acutally call "cute"  It's a
real small cube just over a foot square.  Based on a Sharp 6 PPM engine, the
thing even has a 200 sheet tray to boot.  Optionally, one can add another 200
sheet tray that adds only about 4 inches to the height.  Space-short types
watch out!!!  The only bad thing is that the standard 1.5 meg RAM is just not
enough.  I have never seen a PS machine with less than 2 megs.  I had worked
for a prof years back that had a LaserJet II plus that I regularly overloaded
when I punched up some graphics in Ventura Publisher.  The optional 1 meg is
not epxpensive ($100 to $150) but it is money that ought to be spent.  For
less money, one can get the basic 17 font model (the bigger one comes with the
normal 35) that will save you a few bucks (about $200 I think).  That's the
only difference between the two models.  Oh yeah, NOTE, be careful with prices,
many dealer I've seen offer the printer without an AppleTalk interface.  This
will save you money, but remember a serial port runs only at 19.2 kbaud while
AppleTalk is 230.2 kbaud.  You'll spend a whole lot of time waiting for the Mac
just to transit the image over.  Also, to network ANY printer, you need
AppleTalk.

	Well, that's the most popular ones today.  I know I missed a WHOLE
bunch of them, but these do represent the gamut today.  If you have questions
about any particular type or would like more info, or would like to pass along
a comment, e-mail me.  See ya'll later (GO Tennesse Volunteers!!!!! MY alma
mater!!!).

				Allen Hsu,
				UB Micro Sales Center, and
				SUNY At Buffalo School Of Law...

	-my employer cars knows nothing and disclaims me totally...-

tchi@sal-sun10.usc.edu (The Answer Company) (03/05/91)

An addition to a very informative article...

For those people looking for a personal postscript laser printer, check out
the March 1991 issue of MacUser.  MacUser Labs compared 8 laser printers
and gives a very good breakdown of the pros and cons of these printers.

Personally, I have a QMS PS-410 and I feel it's a very good printer.  I do
a lot of graphics and typesetting work so its 16MHz 68020 is perfect for the
job.  The paper "tray" really sucks but I'm planning on getting a the 250
sheet tray anyways.  I've used the Apple LaserWriter IINT, IINTX and the GCC
BLP I quite extensively in the last three years and so far, the QMS is the best
one I've used for graphics.

Really, check out the MacUser article...

Tony Chi
tchi@usc.edu

P.S.  I'm not connected with MacUser in any way, I just have a subscription
to 1999!

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (03/06/91)

In article <62977@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v564huce@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
> Hewlett Packard stuff:  Don't, it's an IBM thing.  HPs are fine if you ave an
> IBM, but upgrading it to do Postscript costs too much and it's too slow.
> Numbers I have seen put it about half as fast as other printers.  Put your
> money elsewhere.

This might be good advice for those with university discounts on postscript
machines, but for the rest of us, an HP is a very good alternative.  For
everything except programs that require postscript (like Illustrator), you
cannot tell the difference between HP-IIP output and postscript output.

Since HP's connect to the serial port, you will save the cost of LocalTalk
cables (about $100 or so), and HP clones can be had for as low as $699.
This is only slightly more than the retail price of an Imagewriter II.
The only extra that you will need is the MacPrint printer driver (there
are several other that will work, but I have not tried them).

The cost upgrade to postscript is not an issue becuase you do not need
postscript for most Mac programs.  If you are running on the cheap, you
can use Freedom of the Press ($55 mail-order) to print occasional postscript.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/09/91)

In article <687@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>Since HP's connect to the serial port, you will save the cost of LocalTalk
>cables (about $100 or so)

It ain't necessarily so.  My Plus talks to my PS-410 over a regular
Plus-to-ImageWriter II cable using AppleTalk.  Total cost: $8.  I
won't need to get *real* AppleTalk cables until I can afford that
IIci.... :-)
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/11/91)

In article <687@newave.UUCP>, john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) says:

>In article <62977@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v564huce@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu      :
>writes
>> Hewlett Packard stuff:  Don't, it's an IBM thing.  HPs are fine if you ave
>> an IBM, but upgrading it to do Postscript costs too much and it's too
>> slow.  Numbers I have seen put it about half as fast as other printers.
>> Put your money elsewhere.
>
>This might be good advice for those with university discounts on postscript
>machines, but for the rest of us, an HP is a very good alternative.  For
>everything except programs that require postscript (like Illustrator), you
>cannot tell the difference between HP-IIP output and postscript output.

This is true.  Why everyone is so Postscript nuts I don't know, but
what I do know is that there ARE good alternatives.  The HP IIP is one
of them.  With my IIP and a printer driver from GDT (the product is
LaserJet Express), I get output that is sometimes even BETTER than our
LaserPrinter IINTX at work.  And for less than $1000 compared to
the $4000 and up for a IINTX, I'll wait an extra few seconds for each
page!!  :-)  Really, the extra printing time isn't that much at all;
Even with many fonts per page, I don't find myself waiting very long.

Few of us can afford Postscript.  HP's LaserJet IIP is a wonderful
alternative.  The printer can be found for about $900; then add in
only $85 for LaserJet Express (you can also use Freedom of Press 3.0,
or MacPrint, but I have no experience with either of these) and you've
got a less than $1000 Postscript alternative.  Get Adobe Type Manager
too, but I don't count that in the cost because you should have it
even with a Postscript printer.   :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||