[comp.sys.mac.hardware] note in April MacWorld on backlit Portable availability..

werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (03/06/91)

on page 17 in "MacBulletin" section, titled

	       "Apple Decides to ship Backlit Portable"

   Apple has solved the memory-addressing problems that delayed the
   backlit-LCD version of the Macintosh Portable and will announce and
   ship the machines soon, an Apple representative said (but they don't
   tell us when he said that exactly, the stinkers! ;-)

   The backlit Portable will replace the existing version, will cost
   about $1,800 less, and will be able to address 8MB of RAM and work
   with third-party RAM boards.  A model with 2MB of RAM and an internal
   40MB hard disk will list for $4,199, while a model with 4MB of RAM and
   the same drive will list for $4,699, Apple will charge owners of the
   original Portable about $1,050 to add the backlighting feature to
   their machines if they choose to upgrade.

	-+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-
	 | Internet:	werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu |
	 |		werner@cs.utexas.edu	     |
	 | BITnet:		werner@UTXVM	     |
	 | UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!werner  |
	-+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-

Another US-military secret revealed:  there was a TARGET-store in Baghdad!

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (03/07/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.668206838.werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>, werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> on page 17 in "MacBulletin" section, titled
>
> 	       "Apple Decides to ship Backlit Portable"
>
>    Apple has solved the memory-addressing problems that delayed the
>    backlit-LCD version of the Macintosh Portable and will announce and
>    ship the machines soon, an Apple representative said (but they don't
>    tell us when he said that exactly, the stinkers! ;-)

But I got one *delivered* to me on Monday 25th Feb, backlight, 4meg and all!
Apparently, Apple changed all orders for portables into orders for the new
backlit portable. The new display is *much* nicer!!

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX    "I knew a tongue twister once, he taught me everything
(UK) 051-794-3689       I know..."

rob@idacom.uucp (Rob Chapman) (03/10/91)

 Of course the most obvious next question is: Can I upgrade my portable to a
 backlit screen?

 Rob

chou@cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar10.003243.14295@idacom.uucp> rob@idacom.UUCP (Rob Chapman) writes:

> Of course the most obvious next question is: Can I upgrade my portable to a
> backlit screen?
>
> Rob

Yes.  But I heard it costs $1600!

I think the upgrade includes both the screen upgrade and
a new ROM that lets you adjust the backlight brightness from
control panel.

The new portable also uses new pseudo static RAM that's expandable
to 9 meg total, available from 3rd party ONLY.  The pseudo static
RAM uses the same power as the old static RAM.

The screen upgrade does NOT enable you to use pseudo-static RAM.

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (03/13/91)

rob@idacom.uucp (Rob Chapman) writes:

RC>  Of course the most obvious next question is: Can I upgrade my
RC> portable to a  backlit screen?

yep, for $1,095 retail.

(When Apple first announced this, the Wall Street Journal Report on the radio announced--wrongly--that Apple had cut the price of its Portable by $1,000, to a retail price of $1,095.  Unable to reconcile the two parts of this statement myself, I immediately sought out AP news on CompuServe and discovered what _really_ happened.  Ah, well, at least for 10 minutes I was awash in the pleasant feeling that the thought of a $1,095 Portable brings.)

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix