[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Multiple Monitors Woes

shiderly@ssgbpm.enet.dec.com (03/12/91)

I recently acquired a second monitor and have discovered that I have to
place the monitors about two feet apart to prevent interference. Is there
anything I can do that would allow me to place the monitors next to
one another?

Both monitors are Sony 1304's. I am running one at 1024x768 resolution off
a RasterOps 108+, and the other at 640x480 off the IIci's internal video.

I also have discovered another problem with some programs bombing
with id=03 when I open a file, close it, and attempt to open another file.
This problem occurs with Photshop, but not Illustrator, with Nisus, but
not Word. Also the problem does not occur if the lower resolution
monitor is the startup (has the menu bar), unless I move a window to
the other monitor. I am running system 6.0.4, is there any fixes related
to this problem in later releases, or does anyone know what is causing
this.

Thanks,
Roy Shiderly
Please post or email responses to shiderly@decvax.dec.com

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (03/14/91)

In article <2680@shodha.enet.dec.com> shiderly@decvax.dec.com () writes:
>I recently acquired a second monitor and have discovered that I have to
>place the monitors about two feet apart to prevent interference. Is there
>anything I can do that would allow me to place the monitors next to
>one another?
Try putting a sheet of steel, connected to ground, between the two
monitors. This gives an electrostatic sheild between the two monitors,
which should reduce or eliminate the problem. If it works, you can do
something to make it look nice. Painting it will not affect the
performance, provided the ground connection is made to an unpainted
piece of the sheet.

Hope this helps!

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.