[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Does the New Mac IIsi 2/40 comes with 3 megs of RAM?

chou@june.cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) (03/14/91)

I ordered a IIsi 2/40 over a month ago through my school.
Today, I was told that Apple has changed the memory
configuration of the IIsi 2/40, and that it will come with
3 megabytes of RAM instead of 2meg.
My machine is being back-ordered.

The IIsi 5/80, however, wasn't changed.
Someone who ordered his IIsi 5/80 a week later than I did
actually received his machine today. (I am still waiting.. :-()

Can anybody confirm this?  What did they change?
Are they using 512Kbit RAM chips?
Or did they add 4 more SIMM slots?

Thanks,

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (03/15/91)

chou@june.cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) writes:

>I ordered a IIsi 2/40 over a month ago through my school.
>Today, I was told that Apple has changed the memory
>configuration of the IIsi 2/40, and that it will come with
>3 megabytes of RAM instead of 2meg.
>My machine is being back-ordered.

>Can anybody confirm this?  What did they change?
>Are they using 512Kbit RAM chips?

  I'm pretty sure they're using 512Kbit RAM chips, for 512KB per SIMM.
512KB * 4 = 2MB + 1MB onboard = 3MB total.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

bam@sgi.com (Brian McClendon) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.183702.12411@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>chou@june.cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) writes:
>
>>I ordered a IIsi 2/40 over a month ago through my school.
>>Today, I was told that Apple has changed the memory
>>configuration of the IIsi 2/40, and that it will come with
>>3 megabytes of RAM instead of 2meg.
>>My machine is being back-ordered.
>
>>Can anybody confirm this?  What did they change?
>>Are they using 512Kbit RAM chips?
>
>  I'm pretty sure they're using 512Kbit RAM chips, for 512KB per SIMM.
>512KB * 4 = 2MB + 1MB onboard = 3MB total.

As far as I know, there are no 512Kbit DRAMs in existence.  The 256Kbyte
SIMMs I got in my IIsi a couple of months ago where actually 2 256Kx4
1Mbit DRAM chips.  I would guess that the 512Kbyte SIMMs are actually
a 4 chip version of the 256K ones they use to ship.

 Brian McClendon bam@rudedog.SGI.COM ...!uunet!sgi!rudedog!bam 415-335-1110

dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) (03/15/91)

In article <15455@june.cs.washington.edu> chou@june.cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) writes:
>I ordered a IIsi 2/40 over a month ago through my school.
>Today, I was told that Apple has changed the memory
>configuration of the IIsi 2/40, and that it will come with
>3 megabytes of RAM instead of 2meg.
>My machine is being back-ordered.
>
>The IIsi 5/80, however, wasn't changed.
>Someone who ordered his IIsi 5/80 a week later than I did
>actually received his machine today. (I am still waiting.. :-()
>
>Can anybody confirm this?  What did they change?
>Are they using 512Kbit RAM chips?
>Or did they add 4 more SIMM slots?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pai Chou
>chou@june.cs.washington.edu

Interesting you should bring this up.  I just got a new IIsi today through
the developer's program and the invoice said IIsi 3/40MB.  Figuring it
was a typo, I disregarded it.  I had 4 1MB SIMMS waiting to be popped in
when the machine arrived, so I did that.  The chips in the SIMMS bank
did look kinda funny.  I popped those into Bank B of a MacII we have in
the office.  Later, I noticed that the IIsi box said 3MB of ram.  Interesting
.  I will go back into the office and see if that Mac II now has 6MB.
I'll post again if no one else has confirmed it...

Ron D.

dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.183702.12411@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>chou@june.cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) writes:
>
>>I ordered a IIsi 2/40 over a month ago through my school.
>>Today, I was told that Apple has changed the memory
>>configuration of the IIsi 2/40, and that it will come with
>>3 megabytes of RAM instead of 2meg.
>>My machine is being back-ordered.
>
>>Can anybody confirm this?  What did they change?
>>Are they using 512Kbit RAM chips?
>
>  I'm pretty sure they're using 512Kbit RAM chips, for 512KB per SIMM.
>512KB * 4 = 2MB + 1MB onboard = 3MB total.
>
>--
>Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
>"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

Again, interesting.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, the box of my new
IIsi was labeled "3MB RAM".  I got back into my office and checked the Mac II
into which I put the chips that were shipped in the SIMMS bank of my IIsi
(I had 4 1MB SIMMS waiting to go in the IIsi when it arrived).  Oddly enough
the Mac II that got the IIsi's chips still only had 5MB, not 6.  Does the
Mac II only know about 256K and 1MB SIMMS?  Would it make sense that if the
II doesn't know about 512K SIMMS that it would only use 256K of each 512K
SIMM installed, if such chips were installed?

Ron D.