[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What's wrong with my Mac?

warwick@oak.math.ucla.edu (Warwick Daw) (03/15/91)

Recently my mac (an SE/30 with 6.0.5) has been randomly beeping at me for
no apparent reason. What can cause this?

Before the beeps started, my disk would periodically freeze - mostly when I
was running Font/DA mover (3.8) and the computer was writting a font to the
system file. The disk light would be on, but no noise came from the disk, and
the cursor would be frozen as well. The only thing that revived the computer
was the reset button. The last time this happened, I had to throw the system
file in the trash and start over from the installation disks. Since then, the
computer has stoped freezing on me, but I've been getting the ramdom beeps.

I'd still like to know what might have caused my computer freeze up. In
particular I'm wondering if it might be the dreaded 'sticktion' problem.
What are the serial numbers involved?

warwick daw (warwick@math.ucla.edu)

krweiss@ucdavis.edu (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.200038.19180@math.ucla.edu> warwick@oak.math.ucla.edu
(Warwick Daw) writes:

>Recently my mac (an SE/30 with 6.0.5) has been randomly beeping at me for
>no apparent reason. What can cause this?

Not to be an alarmist, but there are a couple of viruses that can cause this
symptom. nVIR and its varients, I believe. Couldn't hurt to download
Disinfectant 2.4 from sumex-aim or u of michigan and check things out.

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu