[comp.sys.mac.hardware] StyleWriter ink

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (03/13/91)

I just got home with a sample of the StyleWriter's output and I put it
under the faucet... The ink is waterproof, even when wet and rubbed. Just
thought those worried about previous inkjet problems with water-soluable
ink might like to know.

I ordered one immediately, as they should sell out fast to the college
crowd. $372 student price includes cable and ink cartridg... everything
you need to plug it in and go. You do need System 6.0.7 or greater to
make it work, though.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (03/13/91)

I just looked in the trash and noticed that the ink is not totally
waterproof. I had so soaked the paper that it was still wet an hour after
I tested it, and the ink had spread out somewhat, though 24-point Helvetica
was still quite readable. Even at that, rubbing the ink still produced
no smearing, though it destroyed the paper.

So, I ammend my previous posting to say that the ink is highly water resistant.
(And I haven't cancelled my order. :-))
--

In article <31352@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I just got home with a sample of the StyleWriter's output and I put it
>under the faucet... The ink is waterproof, even when wet and rubbed. Just
>thought those worried about previous inkjet problems with water-soluable
>ink might like to know.
>
>I ordered one immediately, as they should sell out fast to the college
>crowd. $372 student price includes cable and ink cartridg... everything
>you need to plug it in and go. You do need System 6.0.7 or greater to
>make it work, though.

Yep.  I went over to the Computer Emporium and ordered it today.  The
shocking thing about it is it was so SMALL.  I did notice that the imaging
time seemed quite slow-- I assumed that this was because it was trying to
resolve TrueType on a Mac LC (no coprocessor)-- anyone know if I am correct
and a coprocessor will speed it up significantly.  I also noticed that the
ink did not seem as black as laser toner or DeskJet ink -- but for $372 I
can live with that!!!
I mine 600 wells, and whaddo I get?  Another day older and deeper in debt!
	--- Saddam Hussein.

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (03/13/91)

Rutgers is selling the Sylewriter for $335!  Too bad we have to pay
another 7% sales tax plus 4% shipping

By the way, do you know whether these prices include sheet feeder?

-Ralph

rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/13/91)

In article <Mar.12.19.14.51.1991.28869@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
>Rutgers is selling the Sylewriter for $335!  Too bad we have to pay
>another 7% sales tax plus 4% shipping
>
>By the way, do you know whether these prices include sheet feeder?

	I would guess that it does.  Here at "The" Ohio State State
University, they're selling the StyleWriter for $369 (methinks - don't
quote me), and that's the full package: printer, sheet feeder, ink
cartridge, TrueType, and an Imaging Utility for printing 300 dpi
halftone PICTs on the 360 dpi StyleWriter (minimize hatching).

	In additional news, I have read in seperate (and reputable)
sources that the TrueType disk will be available to all Mac users and
will be A) Free and B) available via online services.

	As a warning, I didn't see it on apple.apple.com, or
bric-a-brac.apple.com as of Tuesday at 5pm EST.  I tried to check
before posting this, but the *.apple.com machines aren't responding to
ftp requests - dunno if it's my end or their's.  <shrug>

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (03/16/91)

In article <31352@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I just got home with a sample of the StyleWriter's output and I put it
>under the faucet... The ink is waterproof, even when wet and rubbed. Just
>thought those worried about previous inkjet problems with water-soluable
>ink might like to know.

Strange, I saw a StyleWriter at the Dallas Infomart on Monday.  I
got samples of the output, one of which got wet when I brought it
to the office the next morning.  The ink ran.