[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Question - Reliability of Mac IIsi logic board

sci259u@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Gerard Rankin) (03/13/91)

I'd like to hear some reassuring sounds as to the reliability of Mac IIsi logic boards.

I picked up my new IIsi last Friday, took it home and set it up. However, I couldn't get it to power up. In fact I got no reponse from the unit at all. I checked and rechecked leads, connections and power without any luck.

After several more attempts through the weekend, I decided to wait until Tuesday(Monday was a public holiday here), when the dealer would be open and I could take the unit back.

On Tuesday, I returned the unit to the dealer, who powered the unit up with the same lack of success that I'd had over the weekend.(so at least it behaved the same way for both of us). The unit was then handed onto the Service Department. At first, they thought it was the power supply unit - but after sawpping it to no avail, suspicion fell upon the logic board.

I was then told that as the dealer had already sent off the warranty card(not bad considering I picked the unit up at about 5:00pm on a Friday night of a longweekend and I called the store at 9:00 am on Tuesday morning when it opened to organise to come down at about 9:40 am) and that technically I now owned the unit(well I thought I owned the unit when I handed owned over my bank cheque - however, I though I was buying a \underline{ working } unit), they couldn't just swap it for another and so I have to

wait a couple of days for a replacement board from Apple Australia.

Having waited the best part of four days I wasn't all that keen on waiting too much longer.

Anyway, the next thing I'm told is that they(the dealer) has found a IIsi with a failed power supply and that they have swapped the logic board over into my machine.

Fine, everything worked OK last night and I'm reasonably satisfied. However I stil have some doubts as to the longer term reliability of the logic board in view of experience. Besides aren't these boards all automatically assembled using surface mount technology and tested? Can anyone reassure me?

On a slightly different tack, I have an Apple 13" High Res RGB monitor with a black line about a pixel wide about two thirds of the way down right across the screen. I can't get it to move, change or disappear when I place a window over t or change the screen background. Is this normal?

Gerard

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gerard Rankin VK5ZQV          Department of Physics - Monash University
                              PO Box 197 CAULFIELD EAST Victoria 3145 AUSTRALIA

carter@cat2.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (03/18/91)

I really wouldn't worry about the future reliability of your machine.

Computer technology, hardware and software is designed by human beings.

I don't own a MAC, but I do own an ATARI MEGA STE which I enjoy running
MAC software on.  If Atari can produce a high quality product, I am sure
Apple can do the same.

I have no doubt that it will provide you with many years of trouble free
service.  Besides, everyone makes mistakes.

--Gregory

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar13.005130.23993@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> sci259u@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Gerard Rankin) writes:
>Fine, everything worked OK last night and I'm reasonably satisfied. However I stil have some doubts as to the longer term reliability of the logic board in view of experience. Besides aren't these boards all automatically assembled using surface mount technology and tested? Can anyone reassure me?

There's a big difference between working at the factory and working on arrival.
Imagine the kind of abuse the computer gets in shipping, assuming that the
shippers don't take a dislike to it and do something awful on purpose. I have
a friend who once worked for United Parcel Service. His suggestion was to
treat the package as if it were going to be frozen, then baked, then dropped
to the concrete from a height of 50 feet, then soaked in water overnight.
If it could survive this, it would have a 50/50 chance. He claims this is
only slightly exaggerated (the loaders at his plant used to watch for packages
marked "Fragile" and give them an extra toss).
This is why the dealer is supposed to assemble the machine, and make sure it
boots before turning it over to you. If it doesn't work, they're either
supposed to repair it or replace it.

>On a slightly different tack, I have an Apple 13" High Res RGB monitor with a black line about a pixel wide about two thirds of the way down right across the screen. I can't get it to move, change or disappear when I place a window over t or change the screen background. Is this normal?
>
>Gerard
Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) (03/19/91)

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) writes:

>There's a big difference between working at the factory and working on arrival.
>Imagine the kind of abuse the computer gets in shipping

I'll say. Back in the Good Old Days, we had a CDC Hawk 80 meg washtub
delivered that had (literally) been speared by a forklift in transit. Both
entry and exit holes through the chassis. When the SE came out to fix the
disk drive that was "DOA" he almost died.

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: BONE DANCE by Emma Bull; BLIND JUSTICE by S.N. Lewitt;
SCIENCE FICTION IN THE REAL WORLD by Norman Spinrad