[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple Personal LaserWriter Nt

s442085@NEXUS.YORKU.CA (Norman Omoto) (12/29/90)

Is anyone out there familiar with the Apple Personal Laserwriter NT?

I have tried calling Apple Canada last week to get the spec sheets that
I need, however, I was informed that Apple no longer supplies these
documents. The required procedure is to go to your local dealer, and
obtain them there.

Unfortunately, my local dealer didn't have any spec sheets. So instead,
I asked questions, such as the engine type, and what type of RAM it uses, etc.
Later, while leafing through some old magazines, I found some conflicting
information, and since Apple Canada seems to be closed for the week, I thought
I'd see if I could get some clarifications here.

First, what type of engine does it use? So far, I've gotton three different
answers, a Canon P110, a Canon LX (most popular answer), and some "other"
engine.

Secondly, RAM. Does it use "normal" SIMMs (as in the Mac Plus/SE/etc), or does
it require special memory, as is used in the IIfx and LaserWriter IIntx?

The printer appears to have a maximum RAM capacity of 8M, and comes standard
with 2M. Would anyone out there happen to know how many SIMM slots are
available? With a max of 8M, does that mean there is one bank of 2 (4M SIMMs)?

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer any information (including opinions
on how whether or not it's worth purchasing).

Norman
s442085@Nexus.YorkU.CA
s442085@yunexus.bitnet

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (12/29/90)

s442085@NEXUS.YORKU.CA (Norman Omoto) writes:

> First, what type of engine does it use? So far, I've gotton three different
> answers, a Canon P110, a Canon LX (most popular answer), and some "other"
> engine.

It uses the Canon LBP-LX print engine, which has a duty cycle rated at
150,000 pages, or half that of the LaserWriter IIs but 50 percent more
than the original LaserWriter. The printer uses $99 toner cartridges that
print about 3,500 pages each.

> I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer any information (including opinions
> on how whether or not it's worth purchasing).

I don't know about the SIMMs, but nonetheless I think I would buy one for
personal use. Especially since it is networkable and Postscript.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/29/90)

Direct from AppleLink to you.  For you general edification and enjoyment,
now none of you ever say I didn't give you something for the holidays :-).

What follows is an Apple Document describing the PLW NT.

******

Personal LaserWriter NT

Copyright 1990, Apple Computer, Inc.

The Apple LaserWriter NT printer features a compact, space-saving design and
offers affordable high-quality laser printing. It has an integral paper
cassette as well as a multipurpose tray that can handle different printing
materials and paper sizes automatically.

The Personal LaserWriter NT features:

	300 dot-per-inch resolution which produces near-typeset quality text,
graphics and scanned images.

	Motorola 68000 processor which supports printing of up to 4 pages per
minute.

	Canon LBP-LX laser xerographic print engine which offers durability
and nearly maintenance-free performance. It provides a minimum performance
life of 150,000 pages (equivalent to printing 100 pages/day, 5 days/week,
52 weeks/year for 5 years).

	PostScript support which offers virtually unlimited versatility in
creating and manipulating text and graphics. You can print documents from
nearly all Macintosh applications, some Apple IIgs programs, MS-DOS and OS/2
applications, and, using additional software, AT&T UNIX programs.

	AppleTalk Network System Interface which offers cost-effective
printing by allowing access by multiple users. This interface also allows
printing from Macintosh, Apple IIgs, MS-DOS or OS/2 computers (using the
LocalTalk PC card).

	HP LaserJet Plus and Diablo emulations which allow anyone whose
computer supports an RS-232-C interface to print documents similar to the
way they print documents on HP LaserJet Plus and Diablo 630 printer,

	37 built-in fonts let you print documents in virtually any type size
and a wide range of styles.

	Support for different printing materials which lets you print on a
variety of mediums such as overhead transparency film, photocopy bond, etc.

	Integral paper cassette provides automatic feeding of up to 250
sheets of paper.

	Multipurpose tray simplifies printing on different paper sizes,
envelopes, or labels.

	Optional envelope cassette lets you print up to 15 envelopes automatically.

	Background printing (with MultiFinder) lets you continue to work on
your Macintosh computer while you print.

System Requirements

	One or more Macintosh (minimum 512K of RAM) or Apple IIgs computers
connected via LocalTalk
	One or more Apple IIe computers with an Apple II Workstation Card and
connected via LocalTalk
	An MS-DOS or OS/2 computer with a LocalTalk PC Card or an RS-232-C
cable and appropriate software
	Any other computer with an RS-232-C cable and appropriate software

Personal LaserWriter NT (B0325LL/A)

Apple Products Library
7-9-90
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

Norman.Omoto@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Norman Omoto) (12/29/90)

[...]

Norman Omoto - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Norman.Omoto
INTERNET: Norman.Omoto@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

John.Starta@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Starta) (12/29/90)

From: starta@tosh.UUCP

s442085@NEXUS.YORKU.CA (Norman Omoto) writes:

> First, what type of engine does it use? So far, I've gotton three different
> answers, a Canon P110, a Canon LX (most popular answer), and some "other"
> engine.

It uses the Canon LBP-LX print engine, which has a duty cycle rated at
150,000 pages, or half that of the LaserWriter IIs but 50 percent more
than the original LaserWriter. The printer uses $99 toner cartridges that
print about 3,500 pages each.

> I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer any information (including opinions
> on how whether or not it's worth purchasing).

I don't know about the SIMMs, but nonetheless I think I would buy one for
personal use. Especially since it is networkable and Postscript.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta
                           AOL: AFA John; CompuServe: 71520,3556

--
John Starta - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.Starta

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (01/02/91)

My dad has a Personal laser writer NT.The only way to upgrade the RAM is
to buy the 4 Meg simms.I'll have to check on the engine.It works just
great,and while it may not be quite a "stout" as the regular laserwriters
for commercial use, I think it would be just fine for home use.
 I've done a fair amount of printing on it,and even with fairly large
graphics, there isn't a memory problem. The only lack of memory I've run
into is if I have a LOT of fonts on some music I'm printing, & since I
print postscript files (using Widgets) I can use up all the memory.

-->  Lininger Utilities Distribution Site<--

--
MARK HOLLINGSWORTH - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!354!1!MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH

NU163467@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Marshall Carroll) (03/19/91)

Hi. Could someone tell me how to add RAM to the Apple Personal
LaserWriter NT?