[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Miniscribe 20 bites it...

smargari@nmsu.edu (Susan Margarit) (03/19/91)

I have a 3 year old SE 20 with the Miniscribe 20M disk
that has access times measured in deciseconds rather
than milliseconds.  Just 3 days after I hooked up a
40M quantum external it stopped working. It died of
envy I suppose. In any case, it just sits there flashing
S.O.S. I.e. it emits 3 short flashes followed by 3 long
flashes. It also doesn't spin. Is there any hope for
this drive? Should I spend the $75 bucks to hear a
Computerland tech say, "yep, its dead. That'll be $600
to put a brand new reconditioned 20M drive in it." Or
should I just yank it out and use it as a bookend?

Jim

epp4010@isc.rit.edu (E.P. Pylko) (03/20/91)

In article <SMARGARI.91Mar18194609@emmy.nmsu.edu> smargari@nmsu.edu (Susan Margarit) writes:
>I have a 3 year old SE 20 with the Miniscribe 20M disk
>that has access times measured in deciseconds rather
>than milliseconds.  Just 3 days after I hooked up a
>40M quantum external it stopped working. It died of
>envy I suppose. In any case, it just sits there flashing
>S.O.S. I.e. it emits 3 short flashes followed by 3 long
>flashes. It also doesn't spin. Is there any hope for
>this drive? Should I spend the $75 bucks to hear a
>Computerland tech say, "yep, its dead. That'll be $600
>to put a brand new reconditioned 20M drive in it." Or
>should I just yank it out and use it as a bookend?
>
>Jim

Well, I have a 2.5 year old SE 20 whose Miniscribe HD died also... I
took it to our school tech support, and they said the logic board is
fried.  Fortunatly, I have a friend whose SE 20's HD died too :)  His
motor was shot... The light would flash, but you couldn't hear the motor
:(

BTW, they wanted $400 to fix my HD.

Seems like you have a good bookend :)

Eric

Eric Pylko          epp4010@ritvax or epp4010@ritvax.rit.edu

              Disclaimer:  Why would RIT want to say any of this?