[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Color Monitor for Portable...

dave@ironcity.gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) (03/19/91)

Does anyone know of any way of connecting a color monitor
to a Mac portable?

E-mail please, I will summarize if someone else wants to know.

Thanks,

David

David K. Codelli                  |"Are you sure you don't want some-
Georgia Institute of Technology   | thing for the pain, Col. Flagg?
Internet: gt7315a@prism.gatech.edu| I mean, to make it worse!"
NeXTMail: dave@ironcity.gatech.edu|                        -Hawkeye

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (03/19/91)

In article <24611@hydra.gatech.EDU> dave%ironcity.gatech.edu@gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) writes:
>Does anyone know of any way of connecting a color monitor
>to a Mac portable?
>
>E-mail please, I will summarize if someone else wants to know.
>
>Thanks,
>
>David
>

>David K. Codelli                  |"Are you sure you don't want some-
>Georgia Institute of Technology   | thing for the pain, Col. Flagg?
>Internet: gt7315a@prism.gatech.edu| I mean, to make it worse!"
>NeXTMail: dave@ironcity.gatech.edu|                        -Hawkeye

There is a product called ScuzzyGraph, by Aura Systems, that allows you
to connect a color monitor to *ANY* Mac.  It works through the SCSI port,
and because it has it's own microprocessor and video processor (and RAM),
it does not require any of the system resources of your Mac.  It's pretty
good, and compatible with 99.9% of the stuff out there.  If you wish, I
can send you xerox pages of the info I got from them (it's pretty good,
and says a lot about the product). just email me your address (snail-mail...
you can't send pages through e-mail.. yet...)
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

ebert@parc.xerox.com (Robert Ebert) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.104508.5088@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
>In article <24611@hydra.gatech.EDU> dave%ironcity.gatech.edu@gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any way of connecting a color monitor
>>to a Mac portable?
>
>There is a product called ScuzzyGraph, by Aura Systems, that allows you
>to connect a color monitor to *ANY* Mac.  It works through the SCSI port,
>and because it has it's own microprocessor and video processor (and RAM),
>it does not require any of the system resources of your Mac.  It's pretty
>good, and compatible with 99.9% of the stuff out there.

Hmm, I talked to the ScuzzyGraph people at MacWorld, and what they said
differs from what you say.  First, the ScuzzyGraph system only works with
Macs that do not use Color QuickDraw.  This means Plus, SE, and Portable,
but not SE/30 or later models.  (Does the Classic use Color QD?)

Second, the "color" is based on the old (non-Color QuickDraw) color model,
which is pretty limiting.  Only a few applications display color using that
color model, which means that while 99.9% of the applications will work,
only a small fraction will make use of the color capabilities.

It does use a small amount of system resources, in that there is an INIT
that patches QuickDraw so that the drawing commands are sent to the
ScuzzyGraph box.  (Actually, this should make it *faster* since the CPU
won't have to do all the imaging.)

			--Bob