[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Upgrading an old Mac

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/20/91)

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:

> I have a Mac 512KE which we upgraded to 1 meg a while back using a Dove
> MacSnap kit.  We _really_ want to get a hard drive for this machine, but
> the problem seems to be a lack of a SCSI port.  There are upgrades for
> little Macs available that give a SCSI port, but they probably wouldn't
> fit, since the MacSnap's already sitting on top of the motherboard.  I'm
> looking for solutions.  Possibilities seem to be:
>
> 1.  Somehow removing the MacSnap & getting a new upgrade
> 2.  Upgrading the MacSnap upgrade to include a SCSI port
> 3.  Attaching a hard disk without a SCSI port (???)
> 4.  Wail in dispair.
>
> I hope it doesn't come to 4.  :-)
>
> Tob
> bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu

well, not to be TOO obvious, but DOVE does make a scsi port for the 512ke
and it does work with the macsnap.
(not sure about ALL models, call THEM!)
i'm personally quite happy with dove.  i bought a used macsnap, installed
it (i'm a service tech) in my 512ke, and it didn't work.  Called dove,
when they got back to me (after 2 calls, they called back on their dime)
they said "here's an rma, it's a bad connector, we'll fix it"
plain and simple.  made ME very happy.  so here's a toast to dove!!

Seth

Seth Cohn, Service Tech.  607-273-2815 voice 607-272-7002 BBS
All things posted are opinions by me, of me, for me, or to me.
And another thing..........I'm not sure you're real.

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (03/20/91)