[comp.sys.mac.hardware] WORM drives

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchel) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul17.061409.23165@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>I heard somewhere that a European company was working on an erasable OD
>that would also be able to play CD ROMs (and presumably music CDs). This
>sounds like something worth waiting for. Does anyone have information on
>this?

Well, this isn't quite the issue, but your comment brought up a tidbit
that I have heard recently:

I have heard that Yamaha has been working on a WORM drive that writes on
standard CDROM platters.  These can then be read in normal CDROM
read-only drives.  They have been talking about release this year.

This is significant, because CDROM platters are very cheap (~$5 @), have
enormous storage capacity (can you say Gigabyte), and their format is
STANDARDIZED.  There is not yet an industry standard format for R/W or
WORM optical drives, so you are currently taking a chance that whatever
vendor you buy from will continue to support your current format.

If you are using the optical drive for long term (years?)
incremental backups, it is a big risk to use a proprietary storage
format.

Of course this applies to tapes and other media as well.

An added benefit:

The bit half life on WORM drives is measured in at least decades,
where that of tapes is often less than 5 years (or even less than 1 year
on some reel systems).  Unless you refresh your tapes annually, you may
well have a great mass of nothing on those shelves.

Eric

Disclaimer:  I make no promises.  Hell, I'm wrong all the time.  I also lie.

careyk@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carey Kinoshita) (11/29/90)

I am thinking of backing up a lot of data by using a WORM drive.
I am thinking of renting a WORM drive and storing all my data
on Write-Once Optical Discs.  Since in the future I plan to
restore the data, I have to choose a WORM drive format that is widely
available and would be in the future.  I was wondering is there a
international or united states standard for WORM formats?  If not, what
format & drive is the most prevalent in the United States?

I also had a question about Optical Magneto Discs.  If you take once of
those discs and expose it to a professional cassette tape eraser, would
the data on the disc become corrupted or would the disc have to be heated
to be erased?  I am primarily concerned with people sabotaging archived
data without me knowing it and am trying to find the best way to archive
the data.  Thanks.

dwade@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Doug Wade) (03/20/91)

	You don't hear much about WORM drives anymore in the magazines --
everybody's interested in the erasables.  I am currently involved, however,
in a project where we're going to be saving 10 MB/day for years to come.
It is apparent that SyQuest drives get expensive in less than a year
even compared to erasables, and tape is an option but not all it might be.
	The erasable optical drives and WORM are equally good for my
application, but I don't need erasability and I assume that erasables are
more expensive.  Can somebody give me an idea of who is making WORM drives
for the Mac, including drive cost and disc cost?

.sig==header