[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Direct Memory Access

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (03/13/91)

 Are there any plans to put DMA on a Mac.  The lack of DMA severely limits the
rate of SCSI transfers on the Mac which really blows when you are interested in
direct to hard disk digital recording.  If there are no plans, then it looks
like IBM may enter a field late and kick Apple's butt once again- something I
think really thinks.

  If anybody knows anything about this, please drop me some e-mail as I can't
seem to keep up with any newsgroups lately.

Thanks,
Eric Bennett

    /---------------------------/ R. Eric Bennett \-----------------------\
    \ cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"     \
     +------------------------------------------|           -Fab 5 Freddy   +
    / cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           "Yo MTV Raps"  /

tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.013042.11048@engin.umich.edu> cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:

> Are there any plans to put DMA on a Mac.  The lack of DMA severely limits the
>rate of SCSI transfers on the Mac which really blows when you are interested in
>direct to hard disk digital recording.  If there are no plans, then it looks
>like IBM may enter a field late and kick Apple's butt once again- something I
>think really thinks.
>
>  If anybody knows anything about this, please drop me some e-mail as I can't
>seem to keep up with any newsgroups lately.
>
>Thanks,
>Eric Bennett
>

>    /---------------------------/ R. Eric Bennett \-----------------------\
>    \ cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"     \
>     +------------------------------------------|           -Fab 5 Freddy   +
>    / cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           "Yo MTV Raps"  /
>    \---------------------------------------------------------------------/

The IIfx implemented a DMA disk subsystem. So it's already been done.
Though it isn't taken advantage of in 6.0.x.

Todd
Todd A. Green   "<_CyberWolf_>"  ---> Pascal <- tagreen@ucs.indiana.edu
Unix Systems Administration      ---> Unix <--- tagreen@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Macintosh Systems Administration ---> VMS <---- tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
WCC Office:136.04 phone:855-0949 ---> C <------ tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana
"Friends don't let friends       ---> Mac <---- tagreen@iubacs.BITNET
 Use DOS" - Scott Ostrander      ---> SunOS <-- tagreen@lykos (FTP only)

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar13.013042.11048@engin.umich.edu> cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:

> Are there any plans to put DMA on a Mac.  The lack of DMA severely limits the
>rate of SCSI transfers on the Mac which really blows when you are interested in
>direct to hard disk digital recording.  If there are no plans, then it looks
>like IBM may enter a field late and kick Apple's butt once again- something I
>think really thinks.

Well, the IIfx has loads of DMA goodies.  Software support of them isn't here,
but I am sure that will be fixed quite quickly as soon as they get sys 7 out
the door (they wouldn't put all that hardware in there for nothing, would
they?).  I would also assume that all future high end macs would have at least
the IIfx's DMA capability - but of course these are my opinions.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

calvin@portia.stanford.edu (Peter Chang) (03/20/91)

>> Are there any plans to put DMA on a Mac.

>Well, the IIfx has loads of DMA goodies. Software support of them isn't here,
>but I am sure that will be fixed quite quickly as soon as they get sys 7 out
>the door.

	I'm not sure, but I read somewhere that even sys 7 does not
support all of the neat DMA stuff that the fx has buil on, in
fact I do not think that any of it is supported.

	Does anybody know if this is indeed true? Not that it
really matters since my mac does not have any DMA )-;

Peter

pers@ifi.uio.no (Per Siljubergs}sen) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.220229.12446@leland.Stanford.EDU> calvin@portia.stanford.edu (Peter Chang) writes:

>>Well, the IIfx has loads of DMA goodies. Software support of them isn't here,
>>but I am sure that will be fixed quite quickly as soon as they get sys 7 out
>>the door.
>
>	Does anybody know if this is indeed true? Not that it
>really matters since my mac does not have any DMA )-;
>

>Peter

You're right, Peter. System 7.0 does not support the IIfx's DMA.
We have to wait for future releases of System software. If I
remember right, A/UX has some support for it.

It would be nice if someone could give some indications of Apple's
future plans for DMA.

Per Siljubergsaasen, Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway
pers@ifi.uio.no