[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What would happen if you put 5 MacIIcx's on the same Desktop Bus?

chymes@geneva.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (03/20/91)

Greetings again, Macintosh Hardware Gurus!
I a a human<->computer interface researcher at The U of Michigan and I
I want to connect several Macintosh keyboards and mice to one
computer, and have them work simutainously. You can't simply daisy
chain the keyboards together because thier is no place to connect the
mouse if you connect the keyboards together.
One of the things I can try is to daisy chain several Macs, and use
the Macs as Tee connectors. I don't care what happens on the other
Macs, I just want several people typing on the main Mac. Can this be
done? Will thier be electronics/hardware problems?
Can I leave the other Macs powered off? Or does the Mac need to be
powered to allow signals to go from one ADB port to the other?

Thanks in advance for the info,

Charles Hymes aka Charweed Hymerfan (The Dude)
chymes@csmil.umich.edu

Work    C.S.M.I.L: room 2420busad,  (313)-764-6715,
                701 Tappan Street,Ann Arbor Michigan 48109-1234
        CSMIL FAX:(313) 936-3168

wrk@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (William R. Krempp) (03/20/91)

I tried it with 2 keyboards and 2 mice.. they all worked...

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/20/91)

Apple doesn't recommend putting more than 3 items on one adb port.
Sometimes it doesn't even work with three (!)

connecting macs together through their adb ports is a very bad idea.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

chymes@geneva.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.043951.11125@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:
>Apple doesn't recommend putting more than 3 items on one adb port.
>Sometimes it doesn't even work with three (!)
>
>connecting macs together through their adb ports is a very bad idea.

What does not work, and what bad things happen?
Is there hardware damage? Why, and what would have to be done to
prevent it?

Charlweed