[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LaserWriter LS - What's it like?

es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) (03/19/91)

I'm still trying to decide what kind of printer I'm going to buy...
Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the LaserWriter LS or have
any info on it?

Eric Snider
es1o@andrew.cmu.edu

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (03/20/91)

es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) writes:

> I'm still trying to decide what kind of printer I'm going to buy...
> Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the LaserWriter LS or have
> any info on it?

The Personal LaserWriter LS is a 300-dpi laser printer that relies on the
Mac to do the page processing. It has 512 Kbytes of RAM, and uses
data-compression technology to let it operate as if it had up to 2.5 Mbytes
of RAM. (Increasing the actual memory won't enhance the speed of the
printer.) The printer uses a serial link to the Mac, and is not AppleTalk
network-compatible. The 50-sheet paper tray handles envelopes, labels,
transparencies, and letter- and legal-size paper. A 250-sheet letter-size
paper cassette is available as a $199 option. The printer comes bundled
with 13 TrueType fonts, and an INIT that allows users to display and print
TrueType fonts with System 6.0.7.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Micro Orchard Co.         UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

iain@chook.ua.oz (Iain Lockyer) (03/21/91)

It likes coke, but seeing as it is rather slow and doesn't support appletalk, it likes lots and lots of attention (pep-talks, postive thinking seminars, and plenty of encouragement.