[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 2685K System on LC!!??

jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu (03/22/91)

I just installed 8 Megs of RAM in an LC (bringing the total to 10 Mb).
Checking 'About Finder...' I discovered that the 10 Mb are there, but the
System size is 2685 K!!! I removed all of the inits: same thing; booted off
the original system startup disk: same thing.  What's goin' on??

John Gillespie jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (03/23/91)

In article <8657@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu writes:

   I just installed 8 Megs of RAM in an LC (bringing the total to 10 Mb).
   Checking 'About Finder...' I discovered that the 10 Mb are there, but the
   System size is 2685 K!!! I removed all of the inits: same thing; booted off
   the original system startup disk: same thing.  What's goin' on??

   John Gillespie jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu

This is the pre-System 7 way of telling you that it can only address up
to 8M of RAM. If you could install 32M total in a machine and run System
6.0x, about the Finder would show the System taking up at least 24M. If
you want the rest of your RAM for apps, you'll have to wait for System
7.

-- Michael B.

| Michael L Barrow    | "If any of the above offended you, it was     |
| <mlbarrow@mit.edu>  |  my idea to do it -- not MIT's"               |
|     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |

greg@enterprise.Central.Sun.COM (Greg George - Sun Area Project Consultant - Midwest ) (03/23/91)

|> |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|> |     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|> |     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|> |     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |
|> =======================================================================

If you would like to handle the extra memory, you can get your
hands on Maxima, which allows the finder to work with more than
8MB of memory. Maxima is available from most mail order places
that carry 4MB simms.

greg

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/23/91)

In article <3302@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> greg@enterprise.Central.Sun.COM writes:
   (stuff deleted about how the Mac can't use more than 8MB yet)

>If you would like to handle the extra memory, you can get your
>hands on Maxima, which allows the finder to work with more than
>8MB of memory. Maxima is available from most mail order places
>that carry 4MB simms.

Sorry, but Maxima requires either a 68030 processor or a 68851 PMMU.
This means it won't (yet) run on the LC.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) (03/23/91)

There is a board made by Dynamac which goes in the 020 direct slot in a
Mac LC that allows you to put in a 68030(which has built-in PMMU) and a
coprocessor.  The board itself is $100.  Has anybody used this yet?  It
is mentioned in the April MacUser or MacWorld.