[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIfx RAM access

dbert@pogo.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (03/14/91)

I read in the April MacUser about the difference between the RAM used in the
IIfx and the RAM used in the rest of the Macs.  It seems that there are
seperate input and output lines "to reduce bottlenecking".  I was wondering
if anyone knew anything about this....does it increase access times?  (i.e.
would the access time of a IIfx with 70ns RAM be any different from the access
time of a IIfx-clone (if there was such a thing) functionally identical
except for using the type of SIMMs found in other Macs?  Just curious...

Also, anyone know if System 7.0 makes use of the IIfx's DMA capability?  I
would assume someone with a IIfx and a beta copy of 7.0 would know this.
Thanks for anyone taking the time to reply!
Doug Siebert                                     dbert@albert.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.024009.5193@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, dbert@pogo (Douglas Siebert) writes:

>Also, anyone know if System 7.0 makes use of the IIfx's DMA capability?  I
>would assume someone with a IIfx and a beta copy of 7.0 would know this.
>Thanks for anyone taking the time to reply!

No, but I'm pretty sure that A/UX does.

anders

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (03/24/91)

	Well, the mac IIfx does use dual ported RAM, basically, it means
it has two lines that data can be sent to the chip thru. There are a couple
of diffrent types of this memory, and it does run faster via the ability
to read and write more efficently, not via chemical speed levels ie 80ns 100ns
etc. The main advantage of this type of memory, is the ability to read and write
virtually simultaneously. An obvious example of how this could be used to
increase speed would be in the video. Normally only one device could have
access to the chip, meaning another would have to wait until the first was
finished. But dual port memory can be serviced by two devices, and in a video
situation this is ideal, as the video circuit can read the data to be displayed
whilst at the same time, but and address behind, the processor can update
the new data to be displayed next, all without the two devices needing
multiplexed access lines. Basically saves time, and makes things simpler.

	Anyway, see how that helps you out.
Steve h