[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Configuring External Hard Drives

tom@stubby.UUCP (Tom Roehl) (03/19/91)

I'm trying to hook up a second hard drive to my IIcx and I can't get the finder
to recognize it.

Here's what I did.  I bought a used Qunatun 40 meg HD and an external case and
power supply to hold it.  Now, I know it works, because I can substitute it for
my internal HD and get it to boot up and all.  So what I did to hook them both
up, was to hook the drives up in serial fashion using a SCSI cable that has
connectors every couple of inches.  I took the original SCSI cable out, hooked
one end of the new cable to the original connector, one of the middle connectors
to my internal drive, and finally the other end to the new drive.  Now, when I
boot up, the internal works fine, but I can't get the mac to recognize the
external.

I've tried using SCSIProbe and all sorts of other tools to try to get it
recognised, but nothing works.  Can someone help me out?  Is this the totally
wrong way to hook these up?  Thanks in advance

Tom

Thomas R. Roehl                       UUCP: ...!uunet!stubby!tom
Digital Analysis Corp.  Reston, VA    INET: tom%stubby@uunet.uu.net

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (03/20/91)

In article <456@stubby.UUCP> tom@stubby.UUCP (Tom Roehl) writes:
>I'm trying to hook up a second hard drive to my IIcx and I can't get
>the finder to recognize it.

Sorry to post this, but our system keeps bouncing your mail address!

Two things to check, in order of most likely.

        1. Check that only the last drive in the chain has terminating
resistors on it. These are usually in the form of three SIP resistor
packages, usually mounted in sockets near the connector. If your new
drive has no terminations, and the internal drive has, just move them
over, or reverse the connection order of the drives.

        2. Check that the second drive is set to a different address
then the first. Address changing is usually accomplished with jumpers.
The first drive is usually set to address 0, which means NO jumpers.
This is probably how your internal drive is set. Do not use address 7,
as this is reserved for the Mac itself.

Hope this helps!

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:-
uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our
children.

scott@gamma.valid.com (Scott Gustafson) (03/22/91)

tom@stubby.UUCP (Tom Roehl) writes:
>Now, I know it works, because I can substitute it for
>my internal HD and get it to boot up and all.  So what I did to hook them both
>up, was to hook the drives up in serial fashion using a SCSI cable that has
>connectors every couple of inches.  I took the original SCSI cable out, hooked
>one end of the new cable to the original connector, one of the middle connectors
>to my internal drive, and finally the other end to the new drive.  Now, when I
>boot up, the internal works fine, but I can't get the mac to recognize the
>external.

First, Have you checked the SCSI address of the new drive.  Is it set to
some number between 0 and 6 but no the same as the internal drive or any
other SCSI device?

Second, in your description of what you did, you described it like:

	+-----+      +-----+      +-----+
	| Mac |      | Int |      | New |
        |     |======|     |======|     |
	+-----+      +-----+      +-----+

So where are your terminators?  If you are going to use this config., you
should have a terminator on the internal drive (should already be this way),
and also a terminator on the new drive.  So it should look like this:
        +-----+      +-----+
        | Mac |      | New |
        |+Int |======|+Term|
        |+Term|      +-----+
	+-----+

I hope this helps,
scott
Scott Gustafson		(408) 944-4672 me	(408) 553-8713 beeper
Valid Logic Systems, 3 West Plumeria M.S.-C1, San Jose, CA  95134
Internet:	scott@valid.com

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (03/26/91)

In article <456@stubby.UUCP> tom@stubby.UUCP (Tom Roehl) writes:

   I'm trying to hook up a second hard drive to my IIcx and I can't get the finder
   to recognize it.

   Here's what I did.  I bought a used Qunatun 40 meg HD and an external case and
   power supply to hold it.  Now, I know it works, because I can substitute it for
   my internal HD and get it to boot up and all.  So what I did to hook them both
   up, was to hook the drives up in serial fashion using a SCSI cable that has
   connectors every couple of inches.  I took the original SCSI cable out, hooked
   one end of the new cable to the original connector, one of the middle connectors
   to my internal drive, and finally the other end to the new drive.  Now, when I
   boot up, the internal works fine, but I can't get the mac to recognize the
   external.

It sounds to me like both drives are trying to use the same SCSI ID
number...