[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Question about connecting LC to VGA/RGB monitors

rmy@trout.cis.ufl.edu (Rasthiyaadu Yakaa) (03/27/91)

I have tried to find out what kind of monitors can be
connected to the LC and have received conflicting answers
from dealers, vendors etc ... Hopefully the net can clear
up this confusion for me

Firstly, can RGB monitors such as Sony, Seiko, Magnavox,
NEC 3D be connected to the LC without the addition of any video
cards or special cables (i.e. right out of the box).
If so, which ones work and which ones are incompatible.
Supposedly,  the Seiko works fine right out of the box.
If so, is the Apple 13" monitor any better or more
compatible in some way ??
Price-wise, which is the best buy ?

Secondly, can ordinary (i.e. IBM PC type) VGA monitors
be used ?? Supposedly a special cable is required  but
where does one get one ? And can I use any VGA monitor
(irrespective of the pitch)? How is the VGA different
from the RGB in terms of colors, resolution, dpi etc?
Is a VGA severely limited in any way compared to the
RGB ? And finally can a monochrome VGA be used with
the LC ??

Would appreciate any answers to the above, especially
from LC users who  have tried such configurations.
E-mail is fine  (reply to rmy@trout.cis.ufl.edu)

yaseen

same effect (i.e. resolution, number of colors) as the
Apple 13" High Resolution monitor.
More importantly do any of these
If yes, which ones are OK and which is the best
price-wise. More

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (03/28/91)

In article <27683@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> rmy@trout.cis.ufl.edu (Rasthiyaadu
Yakaa) writes:

>I have tried to find out what kind of monitors can be
>connected to the LC and have received conflicting answers
>from dealers, vendors etc ... Hopefully the net can clear
>up this confusion for me
>

>Secondly, can ordinary (i.e. IBM PC type) VGA monitors
>be used ?? Supposedly a special cable is required  but
>where does one get one ? And can I use any VGA monitor
>(irrespective of the pitch)? How is the VGA different
>from the RGB in terms of colors, resolution, dpi etc?
>Is a VGA severely limited in any way compared to the
>RGB ? And finally can a monochrome VGA be used with
>the LC ??

I have tried to make the VGA cable per spec's in InforWorld (11-Mar-91, p. 38)
and Mac Tech Note #144, but have not succeeded.
If someone can tell me were to buy this cable or where to buy VGA connectors,
I'd appreciate it.

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Family Medicine
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
(608) 262-6368

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.155250.12227@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu writes:
>   I have tried to make the VGA cable per spec's in InforWorld (11-Mar-91, p. 38)
>   and Mac Tech Note #144, but have not succeeded.
>   If someone can tell me were to buy this cable or where to buy VGA connectors,
>   I'd appreciate it.

	Don't build it, buy it.  MCCC (313-941-6500) has them for sale.
	They have a Mac to NEC Multisync and a Mac to Princton Ultrasync for
	sale.  They also have bargain prices on Mac to SCSI connectors (6ft
	for $7.50).  Hope this helps,

	=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --