[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus screen goes woosha-woosha-woosha

ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David Worenklein) (03/27/91)

My old, reliable Mac+ screen looks like it belly dances from time to time: the
image zig-zags back and forth (ie a straight line will look like this:

)
I can't think of any moving magnetic fields in the vicinity. What's up?
PS This happens more at night than during the day :-?
Thanks!
David C Worenklein      | No one could tell me where my soul might be;
Columbia College '93    | I searched for God, but he eluded me;
in the City of New York | I sought my brother out, and found all three. -Crosby

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.034404.17512@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu writes:
>My old, reliable Mac+ screen looks like it belly dances from time to time: the
>image zig-zags back and forth (ie a straight line will look like this:
>)
>I can't think of any moving magnetic fields in the vicinity. What's up?
>PS This happens more at night than during the day :-?

Your power supply is going out.  Also, you might not want to wait to fix it.
I just had one of the machines on my network taken in with symptoms like those
and found that BOTH the power supply and the monitor had to be replaced.

It MAY work for quite a while in that state and you MIGHT be able to fend off
total breakdown with a fan for a while, but your machine needs to be fixed.

Given the current value of a Mac Plus and the likely cost of repair, you might
want to check out the "fixit" book by Larry Pina (I think that's the name)
called Macintosh Repair Secrets (or something like that.)