[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Phantom INIT

jma@bigbang.Berkeley.EDU (James M. Alexander) (02/24/91)

Hi. I just got a used hard drive to put in my SE/30, and there seems to be an
INIT showing up that I can't locate on the disk. I'll try to descibe it:

 - Its icon (displayed on startup) looks like a box with a hammer in it,
   with a telephone on the front of the box, and what appears to be a
   screwdriver or soldering iron sticking out of the side.

 - I think its responsible for creating an empty folder called
   "Communications" in my system folder.

 - I've looked for invisible files with ResEdit and Disk Tools. No dice.

 - I've tried reinstalling the system software and even rebuilding the
   desktop. This doesn't help either.

I would appreciate it if someone could at least identify it and/or tell

me how to remove it. Thanks in advance.

Jim
jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (02/27/91)

You don't have a phantom INIT, you have the Communications Toolbox installed
in the System file on the new hard disk.  You can do one of two things:

(1) Delete the system file and reinstall a fresh one.
(2) Use the Installer (and the Comm Toolbox install disk) to Remove the Comm
Toolbox.

Never fear, this one won't do you any harm.
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!pj            | RTFD = Read The Silly Doc! |
| INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |                            |

humes@mtsd.uucp (VINCE HUMES) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Feb24.085134.3094@agate.berkeley.edu>, jma@bigbang.Berkeley.EDU (James M. Alexander) writes:
> Hi. I just got a used hard drive to put in my SE/30, and there seems to be an
> INIT showing up that I can't locate on the disk. I'll try to descibe it:
>
>  - Its icon (displayed on startup) looks like a box with a hammer in it,
>    with a telephone on the front of the box, and what appears to be a
>    screwdriver or soldering iron sticking out of the side.
>
>  - I think its responsible for creating an empty folder called
>    "Communications" in my system folder.
>
>  - I've looked for invisible files with ResEdit and Disk Tools. No dice.
>
>  - I've tried reinstalling the system software and even rebuilding the
>    desktop. This doesn't help either.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could at least identify it and/or tell
>
> me how to remove it. Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim
> jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

JIM, I THINK WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IS THE ICON FOR THE COMMUNICATIONS TOOL BOX.
I WANTED TO REMOVE THE TOOL BOX ONE TIME, BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN'T
REMEMBER HOW I DID IT--I DO REMEMBER IT TOOK ALOT OF PLAYING AROUND (PROBABLY
BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING).

VINCE HUMES
MILLCREEK SCHOOLS

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (03/13/91)

In an article James Alexander described the Comm Toolbox icon and asked how to
get rid of it.  In reply, Vince Humes <humes@mtsd.uucp> said:

Vince H: > Jim, I think what you are seeing is the icon for the
Vince H: > communications tool box. I wanted to remove the tool box one
Vince H: > time, but for the life of me i can't remember how I did
Vince H: > it--I do remember it took alot of playing around (probably
Vince H: > because I didn't know what I was doing).
Vince H: > Vince H: > Vince H: > Vince Humes,  Millcreek Schools

On the disks with the Communications Toolbox is an installer which also
un-installs the toolbox from the system.  Try it -- you'll like it (if you can
find a copy of the toolbox disks).

Does anyone know where James Alexander <jma@bigbang.Berkeley.edu> is gonna get
a copy of the toolbox installer to remove this from his system - it was on a
hard disk he bought used.

jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) (03/29/91)

The INIT you're talking about is the Communications Toolbox which
includes at least part of Apple's new Data Access Language. This is a
major improvement in the way Macs will integrate with other database
systems and languages. The last I heard, it supports SQL, Informix, VAX
database systems, VMS, etc...
The Communications Toolbox will come with System 7, and already is
included in many network drivers for EtherTalk, TokenTalk, etc.
If you boot from your installer disk and erase the system file
completely, (don't forget to copy your DAs, Sounds, Fkeys, and Fonts
into a suitcase!) and install the system again, it'll be gone.
The reason it wasn't removed from the System the first time you
reinstalled it was because the installer leaves many system resources
alone, such as Fonts, DAs, special INITs, etc. (INIT resources can be
stored in the System file--that's how INIT file loading is
accomplished). It was just being friendly.