[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Review of Mobius 1-page w/030 & math coprocessor.

erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (03/27/91)

I took the plunge and ordered the Mobius One page display with 030 and
math coprocessor.  The monitor arrived today and for those of you who
can't wait to read this whole message, the monitor is excellent.

The documentation describing the installation process was very clear and
easy to follow.  The process took an hour and some of that time was spent
cleaning dust out of the case, floppy drive and boards.

There was only one confusing issue that had to do with the proper
orientation of the internal video cable into the 10-pin connector on the
side of the 030 card.  A call to Mobius tech support quickly solved the
confusion and the installation continued without any other problems.

The speed increase is substantial, expecially in regards to number
crunching.  The monitors tilt/swivel base operates smoothly...I have a
small reservation about how securely the base attaches to the monitor but
it seems OK.  The display itself is extremely sharp.  Using test pattern
generator, a small amount of linear distortion can be noticed, but it is
certainly not a problem and is to be expected I think with any large
screen display.  To put it another way, I have seen standard 7" screens
with just as much distortion.

I have not spent much time with the monitor but my first impressions are
about as positive as they could be.  I certainly can't imagine how the
display could be any better and so far have not noticed any conflicts
with any software using the 030 board.

If you are in the market for a large screen display, I certainly suggest
you check out the Mobius product.  Their tech support seems excellent,
their 30-day money back guarantee is reassuring and the monitor performs
very well in this early stage of the game.

I am in no way affiliated with or a representative of Mobius Technologies
Inc.

Mike Erb

stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) (03/27/91)

Yes, I had heard about the Mobius display, but I noticed one thing
that seems very strange:  instead of using a 68030, they are using a
68EC030, which is supposed to be a 68030 without a MMU.  The MMU is a
$250 option.  Why is this?  My guess is marketing --- I can't imagine
that the different chip saves alot of hardware money.  Is there some
other reason?  With the MMU and 68882, the Mobius may not be as good a
deal as just buying a SE->SE/30 upgrade from Apple, and a $500 FPD
(considering such things as warrantees, multiple boards increasing the
chances of troubles, etc).  Comments, anyone?
--
			    Michael Stiber
			  stiber@cs.ucla.edu

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (03/27/91)

In article <STIBER.91Mar26172709@humpback.cs.ucla.edu> stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:
>Yes, I had heard about the Mobius display, but I noticed one thing
>that seems very strange:  instead of using a 68030, they are using a
>68EC030, which is supposed to be a 68030 without a MMU.  The MMU is a
>$250 option.  Why is this?  My guess is marketing --- I can't imagine
>that the different chip saves alot of hardware money.

The mc68030 (25 Mhz) costs over $200, and the
  mc68ec030 (25 Mhz) costs less than $70.

I think that both of these prices were for 100 pieces or so.  My
recollection is that I could get a single 030 for about $250, and one
ec030 for $70.  (um, yes, about the same as the 100 piece price.)

The ec030 comes in an inexpensive plastic pin grid array package.  That
explains a good deal of the price difference.  Apple is using plastic
packaged 030's (in SE/30's at least), but I haven't been able to get
them, myself.

The 40 Mhz ec040 is out, or nearly so.  I didn't get a price for it, but
it might be something to look into.

--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) (03/28/91)

stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:

>Yes, I had heard about the Mobius display, but I noticed one thing
>that seems very strange:  instead of using a 68030, they are using a
>68EC030, which is supposed to be a 68030 without a MMU.  The MMU is a
>$250 option.  Why is this?  My guess is marketing --- I can't imagine
>that the different chip saves alot of hardware money.  Is there some
>other reason?  With the MMU and 68882, the Mobius may not be as good a
>deal as just buying a SE->SE/30 upgrade from Apple, and a $500 FPD
>(considering such things as warrantees, multiple boards increasing the
>chances of troubles, etc).  Comments, anyone?
>--
>			    Michael Stiber
>			  stiber@cs.ucla.edu
>		   ...{ucbvax,ihpn4}!ucla-cs!stiber
>     UCLA Computer Science Dept., 3436 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90024

	I just got a Mobius 2-page display with 25 Mhz '030 accelerator
	and I am very happy with it.  The display is,to my eyes, as
	crisp as the Apple 2-page and that is high praise.  The
	acceleration is marvelous --- I went from SE speed (8 Mhz 68k)
	to over IIci speed in one hour.  I think the 030 upgrade over
	the EC030 is worth the $250 because they include the Connectix
	Virtual INIT -- I now have 4 Mbytes of real and 16 Mbytes of
	Physical memory.  I didn't spring for the 882 upgrade because
	you can get 25 MHz 882's for much less and the installation is
	trivial.

	The only complaint that I have is that the accelerator messes
	up the sound generation on my SE.  When I play a sound, it
	sounds very scratchy, as if a low frequency source of EMI was
	near the amp/speaker (it isn't that, though).  I called Mobius
	and they said that it only occurs on *some* SE's and has
	something to do with the Sound Manager.  I'm not sure I believe
	this, the guy I talked with was not a tech.  It seemed to
	me that they would want the ROM numbers or serial number or
	something from me to add to their data-base on this problem but
	they didn't.. just said that it was Apple's fault and they were
	notoriusly slow about fixing such things.  Anybody know
	anything about this?  I would like to believe that my formerly
	clean sound will return some day soon....

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.             Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas                           hunter@cerberus.sps.mot.com

valsta@cc.helsinki.fi (03/28/91)

In article <STIBER.91Mar26172709@humpback.cs.ucla.edu>, stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:
> Yes, I had heard about the Mobius display, but I noticed one thing
> that seems very strange:  instead of using a 68030, they are using a
> 68EC030, which is supposed to be a 68030 without a MMU.  The MMU is a
> $250 option.  Why is this?  My guess is marketing --- I can't imagine
> that the different chip saves alot of hardware money.  Is there some
> other reason?  With the MMU and 68882, the Mobius may not be as good a
> deal as just buying a SE->SE/30 upgrade from Apple, and a $500 FPD
> (considering such things as warrantees, multiple boards increasing the
> chances of troubles, etc).  Comments, anyone?
> --
> 			    Michael Stiber
> 			  stiber@cs.ucla.edu
> 		   ...{ucbvax,ihpn4}!ucla-cs!stiber
>      UCLA Computer Science Dept., 3436 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90024

This leads to the question on whether the accelerated Mac is compatible with
system 7.0 and virtual memory. How about A/UX? And upgrade to color?
However, the Mobius thing seems to be good at what it does.

Lauri Valsta
valsta@cc.helsinki.fi
valsta@finuh.bitnet

jgs@merit.edu (John Scudder) (03/29/91)

Would someone be so kind as to post a brief description of the Mobius
products?  What are the basic specs of the accelerator card?  (Standard
processor, optional processors, how much memory can I put on it, etc.)
Does someone have a price list handy?

Thanks,

--John

--

** John Scudder ** Merit/NSFNET ** jgs@merit.edu ** no amusing quote **
**            Disclaimer:  I speak for myself, not Merit.            **

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.143339.15458@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:

>The 40 Mhz ec040 is out, or nearly so.
            -----

I meant to say the 40 Mhz ec030.  The ec040 is expected out this year,
but the 40 Mhz ec030 is appearing now on your distributor's computer
screen.
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

Andre Sean Brown <ASB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/29/91)

This might be a simple question for some of you, but is the Mobius board and
monitor combo for the SE?  If that was the case, why don't they make it a color
board and support 32-bit QuickDraw via software?