[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Here's the dope on Kennect Technology and Rapport

eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) (03/19/91)

Verbatim from the literature they sent me several months ago (pre-cheap macs):
"
KENNECT TECHNOLOGY
120-A Albright Way
Los Gatos, California 95030
(800) 522-1232
(408) 370-2866 Inside California
fax: (408) 370-0484
Apple Link: D2997

Dear Mac User,

   Here is the information you requested regarding our product line of micro-
processors and floppy drives.

   Installation of Rapport into you Macintosh is quite easy; attach the disk
controller [i.e. doohickey] to the external drive port, drop the CDEV into
your system folder and you're ready to go!

   Rapport, allows you to read 720K MS-DOS disks from your internal drive.
With an Apple 800K external drive connected to Rapport, you can read and write
to that disk *and* expand diskette storage on a standard Mac disk from 800K to
1.2Mb.

   Rapport with Drive 2.4 enables you to read, write *and* format all Apple
and IBM 3.5" standards on low and high density media.  Not only do you get all
the formats that are provided with Apple's new SuperDrive, you can also format
2.4Mb on high density disks.

   We are pleased to announce the release of our new 5.25" drives which, daisy
chained with Rapport and/or Drive 2.4, allow your Macintosh to exchange data
with AT, PC, and ProDOS 5.25" diskettes.  The new drives are Drive 1200 and
Drive 360.  Briefly, Drive 1200 will enable you to read, write and format AT
1200K MS-DOS diskettes; read PC 360K MS-DOS nd read Apple II 140K ProDOS.
Drive 360 wil allow you to read,write and format 360K MS-DOS and 140K ProDOS.

   Additionally, FASTBACK II by Fifth Generation Systems, is currently being
packaged with our Drive 2.4, free of charge.  you can now back up your 20Mb
hard drive with 5 to 7 high density diskettes, making backup virtually trouble
free.

   Currently, Rapport with one or more of our drives, or an Apple 800K
external drive, workd on the Macintosh 512e, Plus, SE, II & IIX (with cable),
SE/30, IIcx and IIci.

  These products are available driectly through dealer and catalogs.  The sug-
gested retail price for Rapport is $295, $495 for Drive 2.4, $395 for Drive
1200 or Drive 160 and $69 for the Mac II/IIx adapter cables.  All of our
products have a one year warranty."

From the spec sheet:
"
Software Compatability:
  Kennect products are fully compatible with mixed environment software
products such as MacLink Plus translators by DataViz, SoftPC and AccessPC by
Insignia Solutions, Inc., and DOS Mounter by Dayna Communications, Inc.

Installation and Warranty:
  Installation requires only your fingers.  The drives are plugged into
Rapport, which in turn plugs into the Macintosh disk port, click and drag the
Rapport driver into the system folder, restart - and you/re running!
  All Kennect Technology products are backed with the industry standard One
year Warranty and a support team that cares - which is not all that standard
in the industry."

I, Andrew Laurence, am in no way shape or form connected with Kennect.  I'm
not even a customer, rather a collector of information available through
1-800 numbers.

--Andrew Laurence
  eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (03/19/91)

For what it's worth -- I have a Rapport and Kennect 2.4 drive on my Plus
at home, and they work wonderfully.  When my daughter managed to get a
disk inserted upside down, Kennect repaired it cheerfully (and even
rescued the data on the diskette!).  No muss, no fuss.  And I can vouch
for it reading/writing/formatting DOS diskettes.

I like it.

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         |   In ten years, computers will just be    |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  |   bumps in cables.       --Gordon Bell    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       +-------------------------------------------|
|  BIX:   srfleming        |   My employers may disagree vehemently.   |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/23/91)

In article <27E53FFD.17510@orion.oac.uci.edu>,
eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) writes:
> Verbatim from the literature they sent me several months ago (pre-cheap macs)
> "
> KENNECT TECHNOLOGY
> 120-A Albright Way
> Los Gatos, California 95030
> (800) 522-1232
> (408) 370-2866 Inside California
> fax: (408) 370-0484
> Apple Link: D2997

Hang on a bit, we'll be releasing a TidBITS Review Issue on the Drive
2.4 and Rapport shortly. It will be in comp.sys.mac.digest.

cheers -- Adam

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                         (also)  ace@tidbits.uucp

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (03/25/91)

Re: the Rapport and the Kennect 2.4.

As the Rapport is a "dongle" can you use any external floppy drive with
it or is there something special about Kennects drives (apart from the
price?)

Kevin

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (03/29/91)

In article <91083.205904KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>Re: the Rapport and the Kennect 2.4.
>
>As the Rapport is a "dongle" can you use any external floppy drive with
>it or is there something special about Kennects drives (apart from the
>price?)

I believe that you have to use either Apple's drives or Kennect's drives.  Last
I heard, they had not qualified any other 3rd party drive.  I think their own
and Apple's drives are built to tighter specs (I'm not real sure what part of
the 3rd party drives doesn't meet Kennect's needs--the seeking, etc.).
Kennect's drives are also different than Apple's in the way they handle
error correction, which is why they can get 2.4mb using their drive and
can't with Apple's (they combine GCR and MFM formatting techniques to
achieve both their 2.4mb on a DSHD disk and 1.2mb on a DSDD disk).

Mark

--
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different