[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard drive not recognized

keho@quads.uchicago.edu (david kehoe) (03/31/91)

My mom just called -- she turned on her SE/30 and it is unaware
that it has a hard drive.  Starts just fine off a floppy system
disk though.  Her SE/30 has a 40 meg internal hard drive.
When she clicks "Restart", the orange light on the front flashes
very faintly for an instant, then doesn't light up again.

Is there anything she can do this weekend (the dealer is closed)?
If you know something she could try, please call collect either
me at (312) 753-0119 or my mom at (414) 962-5937.  Obviously,
only call Saturday March 30 or Sunday March 31 -- the dealer
will be open on Monday.

While we're on the subject, is there anything I can do to prevent
hard drive failures?  I turn my SE/30 off only once a day, when
I go to bed (the fan is kinda loud).  I think my mom turns
her SE/30 off whenever she's not using it.

My apologies if this is a commonly-asked question -- I seem to
ask that kind on newsgroups I don't usually read.
--
"Why my thoughts are my own, when they are in, but when they are out
they are another's." - Susanna Martin, executed for witchcraft, 1681.

gabe@ctr.columbia.edu (Gabe Wiener) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar31.042742.8553@midway.uchicago.edu> keho@quads.uchicago.edu (david kehoe) writes:
>My mom just called -- she turned on her SE/30 and it is unaware
>that it has a hard drive.  Starts just fine off a floppy system
>disk though.  Her SE/30 has a 40 meg internal hard drive.
>When she clicks "Restart", the orange light on the front flashes
>very faintly for an instant, then doesn't light up again.

Try running one of the common SCSI utilities to see if the drive is even
appearing on the bus.  If it is, can it be mounted manually?  A new driver
installation might be in order.

--
Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.     "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings
gabe@ctr.columbia.edu             to be seriously considered as a means of