[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Wanted LC maths coprocessor

knibb_k@darwin.ntu.edu.au (03/29/91)

Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a maths coprocessor for the
LC?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Darwin Australia.

vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar29.143835.768@darwin.ntu.edu.au> knibb_k@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:

>Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a maths coprocessor for the
>LC?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ken
>Darwin Australia.

System Technology Corporation is offering a FPU board for the LC.
It was advertised in the back of MacWeek of 03.18.91 for $149 as
an "introductory offer" (i.e., I don't think the price will stay
the same forever.)  Their address is: 1860 Fern Palm Drive,
Edgewater, FL  32141 and they can be reached at (904) 428-0411.

I just received the one I purchased today.  I've installed it and it
seems to work fine (Excel doesn't complain and works fine), though I
haven't run any benchmarks with it.  The board has a socket for
a clock crystal, if you decide to get a higher-speed FPU you can
replace the 68881 with the new one and insert the clock chip to make
it run faster than the normal 16 MHz.

Bob Shields				vbob@umd5.umd.edu
Disclaimer:  just a statisfied customer...
--
Bob Shields		 vbob@umd5.umd.edu

j1whalen@bach.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.143835.768@darwin.ntu.edu.au> knibb_k@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:

>Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a maths coprocessor for the
>LC?

I just bought one from System Technology Corporation (somehow, I seem to
recall that they had something to do with Novy Systems, but anyway).

They make a product they call the QuickMath/LC. It's just a single PDS card
with a socket for the FPU and a socket for a clock.

They will sell it populated with a 68882 and clock chip (the 68882 can run
at speeds different from the CPU.) The default is no on-board clock, it just
uses the system 16MHz clock. If you want, you can get a 20 MHz clock chip to
up the speed yourself.

I bought it for $149, on a special offer, but I don't remember what the regular
price is.

Note that the FPU is *socketed*. This is important, since you may want to
purchase another board for a processor upgrade at some point in the future.
Since it's socketed, you'll be able to pop the FPU out of the QM/LC board
and put it in your CPU upgrade board.

System Technology Corporation can be reached at (904) 428-0411.
1860 Fern Palm Drive, Edgewater, FL 32141.

--jon

P.S. I have no relationship with STC other than being a satisfied customer.

* Jon Whalen @ Notre Dame University    Internet:j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu *
*            @ Tellabs Research Center  Internet:jon@trc.tellabs.com           *

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (04/02/91)

writes:

>Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a maths coprocessor for the
>LC?

I am getting an Asante Ethernet board for the LC with a Math co-processor.
This adds another $150 to the $375 (or so).  On the single expansion slot
machines, Si/LC, one does need to look for multi-function cards.

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Family Medicine
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu