[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DB9 ---> mini din connector

ken@mcnc.org (Kenneth A. Whitfield) (04/04/91)

I have an upgraded (1 Meg + SCSI) 512KE. I would like to connect
a parallel printer using Graflex (not Grappler). The Graflex comes
with a male mini din 8 connector. The Graflex is powered from the
serial port unlike Grappler which has an external power supply. According
to the information that I have gathered, the difference between the
two connectors is the DB9 has a +5 and +12 lead which are not used
by in the mini din. However, when I talked to a tech at IDE? (Graflex),
he did not think the power supply in the 512KE would drive the Graflex.
He also stated, they had never tried the Graflex on a 512K machine.

Questions:

Is there a difference in voltage levels between the DB9 and mini din?

Does anyone know of a company which has a DB9 to mini din connector or
any cable which has a female mini din connector?

If I cut off the male mini din connector, used a volt/ohm meter
to trace the wiring, and attach a DB9 connector to the mini dins
corresponding pins, would this work?

One can either post a reply to the net or send me email.

Thanks
ken@concert.net

paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (04/04/91)

In article <7803@alvin.mcnc.org> ken@mcnc.org (Kenneth A. Whitfield) writes:
>I have an upgraded (1 Meg + SCSI) 512KE. I would like to connect
>a parallel printer using Graflex (not Grappler). The Graflex comes
>with a male mini din 8 connector. The Graflex is powered from the
>serial port unlike Grappler which has an external power supply. According
>to the information that I have gathered, the difference between the
>two connectors is the DB9 has a +5 and +12 lead which are not used
>by in the mini din. However, when I talked to a tech at IDE? (Graflex),
>he did not think the power supply in the 512KE would drive the Graflex.
>He also stated, they had never tried the Graflex on a 512K machine.
>
>Questions:
>
>Is there a difference in voltage levels between the DB9 and mini din?
>
>Does anyone know of a company which has a DB9 to mini din connector or
>any cable which has a female mini din connector?
>
>If I cut off the male mini din connector, used a volt/ohm meter
>to trace the wiring, and attach a DB9 connector to the mini dins
>corresponding pins, would this work?
>
>One can either post a reply to the net or send me email.
>
>Thanks
>ken@concert.net

System Connection at 800-825-1985 has the adaptor you are looking for.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU