[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LocalTalk over phone wiring

patfieldk@gtephx.UUCP (Kevin M. Patfield) (04/03/91)

I'm planning to use singleserver to connect my SE and my son's
Mac Plus using LocalTalk.   Rather than running cables all over
the house I'd like to use some of my share phone wiring (I have
at least 2 spare pairs.)  Of course I could go out and buy phone-
net connectors but 1) I don't want to spend that kind of money
and 2) my house isn't 4000 feet across.

What I'd like to know is how to wire up the 7 signal pins in the
DIN 8 connectors to accomplish this feat.  For starters I presume
I can just crosslink the handshake in-out locally.  That gets it
down to 5.  Can I get it down to just one pair without matching
transformers?  What sort of terminating and padding resistors do
I need?  What about protection from static and induced voltages
(I don't want to fry both Macs the first time the phone rings on
an adjacent pair!)

Please bear in mind that there will only be the two Macs on this
"network" and there's only 30 feet or so of wire between them

Thanks very much for any help.
--
Kevin Patfield, AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, AZ
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!patfieldk

patfieldk@gtephx.UUCP (Kevin M. Patfield) (04/05/91)

In article <311@jordache.gtephx.UUCP>, patfieldk@gtephx.UUCP (Kevin M. Patfield) writes:
> I'm planning to use singleserver to connect my SE and my son's
> Mac Plus using LocalTalk........
>
> What I'd like to know is how to wire up the 7 signal pins in the
> DIN 8 connectors to accomplish this feat.......

It seems that the answer to my question is Nate Hawthorn's "CapNet".

Thanks to Scott Lasey I now have a copy of Nate's article which describes how to make
a network for around $1 per node.  Actually the minDin8 plugs cost me $1.25 each but
the total cost of the components was still less than $2 per node.  Apparently this has
already been on the net but if anyone else missed it I can email it to you.