[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 512k

u2104263@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (03/24/91)

In article <12904.27D98533@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>, Dave.Bayard@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Dave Bayard) writes:
> I'm about to receive a 512K.  I don't know whether it is enhanced or not or
> what memory it has.  Does anyone know of a good reference for me to look at
> so I can figure out what I need do to upgrade the 512K to something I can use
> for relatively simple tasks.  In the past, it was economical to upgrade, but
> with price for new machines so low, I'm looking for ways to get something out
> of the machine (a gift) without spending much money on it.  Bayard
>

> --
> Dave Bayard - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>     UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Dave.Bayard
> INTERNET: Dave.Bayard@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

It will depend on the disk drive. If your Mac can only read 400k disks then you
should buy a Mac Plus upgrade, otherwise you should be able to run most simple
applications.
Email: chris_hofflin.ag_and_for@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar24.182940.1752@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> u2104263@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au writes:
>In article <12904.27D98533@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>, Dave.Bayard@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Dave Bayard) writes:
>> I'm about to receive a 512K.  I don't know whether it is enhanced or not or
>> what memory it has.  Does anyone know of a good reference for me to look at
>> so I can figure out what I need do to upgrade the 512K to something I can use
>> for relatively simple tasks.  In the past, it was economical to upgrade, but
>> with price for new machines so low, I'm looking for ways to get something out
>> of the machine (a gift) without spending much money on it.  Bayard
>
>> --
>> Dave Bayard - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>>     UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Dave.Bayard
>> INTERNET: Dave.Bayard@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>
>It will depend on the disk drive. If your Mac can only read 400k disks then you
>should buy a Mac Plus upgrade, otherwise you should be able to run most simple
>applications.
>Email: chris_hofflin.ag_and_for@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au

There is no such animal as a Mac that cannot read 800K disks.  The
worst case is a 128 or 512 unenhanced with a single sided internal
drive.  On one of these, you attach an external 800K disk drive,
boot off a single sided disk in the internal drive that has the
file Hard Disk 20 on it, then insert a 800K disk in the external
drive, and it is mounted.

The Apple Hard Disk 20, AND 800K disks were invented before Apple
started manufacturing Macs with 128K ROMs.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service
--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr1.212953.20827@uncecs.edu> dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) writes:

>There is no such animal as a Mac that cannot read 800K disks.  The
>worst case is a 128 or 512 unenhanced with a single sided internal
>drive.  On one of these, you attach an external 800K disk drive,
>boot off a single sided disk in the internal drive that has the
>file Hard Disk 20 on it, then insert a 800K disk in the external
>drive, and it is mounted.
>
>The Apple Hard Disk 20, AND 800K disks were invented before Apple
>started manufacturing Macs with 128K ROMs.
>
>Dan Dlugose
>UNC Educational Computing Service

This is not entirely true.  My Macintosh XL can't read 800k disks except
with a costly hardware modification.  The XL has no external floppy
port.  I can use HFS, though.

On that note, if you are at all interested in the Mac XL or Lisa,
please send me mail.  I like to buy/sell/trade/share info.

daniel
-----
Daniel Carr - North Carolina State University
internet:  daniel_carr@ncsu.edu
bitnet:    DANIEL@NCSUVM