[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New Apple Printers? IINTX to Go?

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (04/04/91)

I know about the new LS and the StyleWriter, so please
don't respond about them. I'm looking for information
on possible replacements for the IINTX.

For some time, we've been planning to get a new postscript,
networkable laser printer. I had narrowed down my choices
to the IINTX and the QMS-PS 820 turbo and had found a price
on the latter only $300 more than the IINTX, while the QMS
is faster and has two paper drawers. QMS is just now releasing
an 825 (and an 815) which are slightly cheaper. However, the
price of the IINTX has now dropped so much that its academic
price is much, much less than the academic price for any of
the QMS printers I'm looking at. We'll probably end up buying
purchasing the IINTX unless I get information indicating it
will become obsolete.

The QMS salesman mentioned in passing that Apple is about to
announce still more new laser printers and will be phasing
out the IINTX. So what I'm wondering is: What information is out
about what will replace the IINTX? I'm interested in specs,
features, and price if anyone knows anything about any of those.
I haven't read MacWorld since the February issue. I'd appreciate
any reliable information anyone can send me to
steve@violet.berkeley.edu.

Thanks,

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.174629.24222@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

> We'll probably end up purchasing the IINTX unless I get information indicating > it will become obsolete.
Hold onto you seats boys and girls and get ready for a surprise!!!  The NTX will no longer be the big boy on the block.

> The QMS salesman mentioned in passing that Apple is about to
> announce still more new laser printers and will be phasing
> out the IINTX.
Well what do you know, QMS not only makes great printers but they also give out good advice!

> So what I'm wondering is: What information is out about what will replace the
> IINTX? I'm interested in specs, features, and price if anyone knows anything
> about any of those.
There is no OFFICIAL word that can be spread, but it'll be good.
Any bets that they won't be called the LaserWriter III?  III is an unlucky number for Apple.

You may want to wait and see...
As for the phasing out of the NTX-- even if Apple does, as with all Apple products, it will be serviceable  for a long time to come.  Anyone hear of AppleCare?!?!  I'm sure when Apple does open the curtains on some new printers, you could get some real deals on the NTX.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"