[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Disk Partitioning Software

al@ee.pitt.edu (Alan Martello) (11/06/90)

My apologies, I know this has been the subject of recent
discussion, but I didn't need it then and I do now...

I'm looking to partition a hard drive on a server.
I'm looking for any technical info/recommendations
(e.g. I've heard of "horror stories" by folks who've used
SUM II since they make each partition one big file I believe?)

Does anyone know of any software which can handle the job or
have there been any recent articles which discuss disk partitioning
software in MacUser, MacWorld, etc..

thanks in advance.

(p.s. THIS HAS BEEN a subject of recent discussion that I missed,
I'd appreciate any info you might have tucked away)
       Alan R. Martello        Electrical Engineering Dept.
        al@ee.pitt.edu           University of Pittsburgh

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/07/90)

In article <9066@pitt.UUCP>, al@ee.pitt.edu (Alan Martello) writes:
> I'm looking to partition a hard drive on a server.
> I'm looking for any technical info/recommendations
> (e.g. I've heard of "horror stories" by folks who've used
> SUM II since they make each partition one big file I believe?)

Yup, that's right. It seems to work well enough, and this soft partitioning
technique has its advantages (you can back up copy-protected software,
for example), but it seems (in SUM II at least) to be rather fragile.
I've had partitions fail Disk First Aid fairly often, and managed to
lose one fairly easily.

Hard partitioning would seem to be a better bet, if it's device-
independent and easy to configure. But, I don't know anything about
it...

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

dv@welch.jhu.edu (Deepak Vaidya) (04/05/91)

I am looking for hard disk partitioning software that creates hard partitions
and not soft like SUM tools does.  If you have any information can you please
pass it along to me.  Currently I am looking at Silverlining which was
mention about couple of weeks ago, and I was not paying any attention.

Thank You For Your Help
-Deepak Vaidya
dv@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu [128.220.59.10]
dv@freya.welch.jhu.edu [128.220.59.36]