[comp.sys.mac.hardware] External hard disk case supplier?

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (04/07/91)

Can someone recommend a mailorder supplier for SCSI cases w/ power
supply that I can install a 3.5" Quantum 80MB disk in?   Also, I'd
like a source for various SCSI cables, mac power cables, e.g., a
dual power cable & dual SCSI ribbon cable to install a second disk
in a Mac2.   I've called a few mailorder disk vendors, but they don't
want to sell empty cases.
       Thanks,  Don
--
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert@bio.indiana.edu

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr7.043302.29907@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> you write:
>Can someone recommend a mailorder supplier for SCSI cases w/ power
>supply that I can install a 3.5" Quantum 80MB disk in?   Also, I'd
>like a source for various SCSI cables, mac power cables, e.g., a
>dual power cable & dual SCSI ribbon cable to install a second disk
>in a Mac2.   I've called a few mailorder disk vendors, but they don't
>want to sell empty cases.
>       Thanks,  Don
>--
>Don Gilbert                                     gilbert@bio.indiana.edu
>biocomputing office, biology dept., indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405

Sun Remarketing, Inc. has something called BYOD (Build Your Own Drive) SCSI
Kit for $59 + $6.67 shipping.  It includes case, power supply, fan, switch
and all the internal cables.  You will have to supply your own SCSI cable
and drive.  You can call SRI's "24-Hour Order Line" at 800 821-3221.

As for cables and connectors, you can try JDR Microdevices at 800 538-5000.
A quick check reveals internal SCSI cables run about $4.95 (catalog #
CBL-SCSI-IDS) and 3.5" drive power cables are $2.95 (catalog # CBL-3.5).  I
would recommend ordering their catalog before ordering to make sure you are
getting what you want.  By the way, JDR has gobs and gobs of other cables
such as Appletalk, modem cables, phone-net connectors, AC power cables,
monitor cables, etc., etc.  I haven't done extensive price comparisons, but
their prices seem okay.

Note:  I don't have any affiliation with either of the above mentioned
companies, but I am on their mailing lists, and their catalogs were handy.

Cheers,

Alan

|  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?                 |
|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.                 |