[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Monitor Comparison - The Survery says...

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (04/08/91)

A while back, I asked about monitors for the Mac SE/30, and got a few

Just to let everyone know what I ended up with:
  I purchased a NEC MacSync HC monitor.  I ended up getting shipped a plain
MacSync, and found it to be very unfocused.  The lack of clarity was highly
pronounced, especially when compared with my SE/30 internal monitor.
Positioning a window full of 9-point Monaco text so as to span the two screens
showed a major difference in contrast, clarity, and even a visible difference
in dot-pitch.
  In my efforts to return the unit for the HC I had actually ordered, many
things kind of imploded and there became no possibility of a return. The fault
of my local supplier's supplier, not NEC.  As such, the MacSync is going back,
and has been replaced by a Seiko CM1445C purchased from MacAvenue.

  THe Seiko is SUPERB--it is an extremely bright unit, very clear, and
well-focused from all corners of the screen.  It has the famous
Trinitron-line, but heck, it's a TRINITRON, which in my eyes makes all the
difference in the world.  This is a sharp unit, and well worth the little bit
extra you pay.

  If you are asking "Why MacAvenue?"...I checked with some 10 different
suppliers, and even though a number had a lower price than MacAvenue, they all
shipped UPS Ground (at $14 to $17) or Fed Express 2-day (at $35 to $45).
MacAvenue got me the unit the NEXT day (Fed Ex) for only $2 shipping, which
still saved money over the
 'lower-priced' companies.  Suprisingly, MacConnection only deals in Magnavox,
and MacZone does not carry this one either.  MacWarehouse hung up on me :-)

  Here are the responses I received--thanks to all for their input.
 -----------------
From:    HOWIE@TRITON.TAMU.EDU (B=================>)

You can find the Sony 14" 1304 for $620 including cable from ARGO
computers.  Look in ComputerShopper Magazine.

Matt

----------
From: "David Hightower" <dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu>

I am using a Seiko CM-1445 at home, and I use either a Mac 13" RGB or
a Magnavox Mac monitor at work here.  In my opinion, the clear leader is
the Seiko monitor.  It has a very small dot pitch (.25 mm) and its focus
is clear and sharp.  Further, it is a 14" monitor with a tilt and
swivel, which are bells and whistles but nice ones.
The Mac monitor would be my second choice.  It's a bit larger (casewise)
than the Seiko, and does not have a tilt and swivel; but the dot pitch
is the same.  For both of these monitors, bowing is not a problem;
however, the mac monitor tends to give a loud HUM when first turned on.

The Magnavox monitor is really not worth it.  IT is fuzzy (the focus
is not sharp) and I have noticed a slight distortion tendency.  I would
reccommend against it.

The only problem I have with my Seiko is that it is one of the older
ones; it cannot work with an 8-24 video card from Apple.  The newer ones
have this problem fixed, and when the semester's over I will send my
monitor back to Seiko for a retrofit.  Free of charge, of course.

Dave
Dave Hightower          |    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu         | well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!
"The world's major troublespots these days were formerly known only
 to crossword-puzzle fans."                              --Val Tupy

---

From: nwc1@midway.uchicago.edu
Subject: Re: Monitor comparisons

...don't forget the Panasonic series of monitors, C 1381 etc., I think.

Thanks in advance...
Norman Choe
--
| Beep Beep Beavers * WFNX 101.7 * Words like violence/ Break the silence/   |
| Come crashing in/ Into my little world.-DM * I KNOW that it's Einstuerzende|

-----

From: pasrich@seas.ucla.edu (Puneet Pasrich/)
Subject: MacSync HC

Hello! You were asking about different monitors.  A while ago I had
typed up a little summary of my HC.  Here goes (it's a pre-created file).

Anyways, I do own an HC.  The quality is somewhere between pretty good
and crisp.  I'm used the superb quality of Apple's 13" and didn't quite
notice that the HC's pixels were not as sharp as Apple's.  I'm a
hardware technician at an Apple VAR and had the opportunity to see (and play
with!) new products that were being sold to clients.  Well, I 'played' with
the HC when it first arrived that the shop and was quite happy with it.  This
testing continued for about two days - basically enough time for me to come
to my senses and ask 'is this as good as Apple's'.  Well, at that time I
answered 'yes' and bought one for my IIci.

I've been using it for the last seven months and have had no trouble with
it.  But I've come to realize that the quality is not as nice as Apple's.

advise to get Apple's if you have the bucks!

Good luck! Tell me how it turns out.
== Puneet Pasrich ============ Internet: pasrich@seas.ucla.edu ===============
== "Smiles A Lot" ============ IBM: It may be slow, but it's hard to use. ====
== In Capitalism, man exploits man. In Communism, it's the other way around. =

---

From: motcsd!dms!petrick@apple.com
Ppath: pnet51!pj
Apparently-To: altos!quest!orbit!pnet51.orb.mn.org!pj

        Seems to me there was an article in MacWorld a couple of months back
that compared a bunch of color monitors.  You might look there for facts and
specs.  I'd be interested in hearing the results of your survey, so please
mail me a copy, or post to the net.
                                        -- jim
                                                -- jim petrick
Atari Games Corp.                               petrick@dms.UUCP
Milpitas, Ca                                    {motcsd|weitek}!dms!petrick

INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org   -OR-    pejacoby@3m.com