[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Voice Activated Computer

danielg@med.unc.edu (Daniel Gene Sinclair) (03/30/91)

Today I received a catalog called MacAvenue, which seems to be the Mac
offshoot of CompuAdd, the pc clone mail order company.  In it, they have
an add for a voice activated computer board from Articulate Systems.

It's called the Voice Navigator II.  Here's the text:

	You didn't think it could happen, but here it is: the Voice
	Navigator II from Articulate Systems.  Now your computer can
	really (;^) respond to your voice.  And we're not talking about
	simple one-two-three.  Voice Navigator II recognizes voice
	commands in any application.  Whether selecting graphics tools,
	responding to dialog boxes, your personalized macros, or entering
	information in a database, the Mac now qualifies as man's best
	friend.  Open the pod bay doors, Hal...

The picture is a little strange, looks like s Sony Discman in size.  Has
two 25 pin connectors (female) on back plus a small microphone plugged
into it.  The Microphone sits on a stand is about 12 inches high.

I'm not up on voice activation, but does anyone know what the scoop is
these days?  This sounds great.  Just think of the database applications.
Data entry by voice (it might take longer to error check than to just type
it in).

Curious,

dan

--
<><     "Surrender the hunger to say you must know,                  |
<><      Have the courage to say I believe,                        ==+==

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/30/91)

I saw a demo of the product on TV about a month ago.  Seemed to work pretty
well.  It recognized things like "open" "close" "all" "sellect" and the
file names.  I don't know how much time it would really save (the guy using
it was s p e a k i n g   v e r y   s l o w l y).  But it would seem to have
more than a few applications ... anybody got one?

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (03/30/91)

In article <3151@beguine.UUCP> danielg@med.unc.edu (Daniel Gene Sinclair) writes:
>Today I received a catalog called MacAvenue, which seems to be the Mac
>offshoot of CompuAdd, the pc clone mail order company.  In it, they have
>an add for a voice activated computer board from Articulate Systems.
>It's called the Voice Navigator II.  Here's the text:

I got one.  (Got is the right word.  I didn't buy it myself. I admired
it so much at a MacWorld show that they sent me one a couple of months
later.)

It's great. What it does is, you teach it to recognize
menu-words.  (Say each word 3 times.)  Then you can select from your
menus, in hierarchical fashion, by saying the words.  It is reliable
enough to actually use, at least for my voice.  (Not too good on
distinguishing "file" from "five".)  Also a lot of facilities for
doing other things.  If you have trouble with a word, you can make a
synonym, but I have trouble remembering too many of those.  They said
they plan in a later release to make it easy to put the synonyms into
the menus.

I think it's a win.  Didn't expect to see usable speech recognizer for
a couple more years, at least, in this sort of price range.

But don't expect to use it for text entry.  The menu selection
restriction is probably why it works so well.

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (03/30/91)

I got a Voice Navigator II and it's a pretty good product.
It works the following way:
For each application you define a set of macros with a name.
The macro editor is very powerfull, and the macros are editable.
There are no, however, tests or loops.
You then learn VoiceNave the sound it should responds for each
macro name.
Say you define an "Open" macro that selects the Open commands
from the file menu. You then go in training mode and say in the
mike "Open" (or whatever you want by the way, like "Ouvrir" or
"Abrir"). You repeat three times. After, when you say "Open" in the
mike, VoiceNav does the macro. Simple.

So you can't have connected-words recognition (that is speak whole
sentences like in the Knowledge Navigator video). It also only
recognize your voice, altough it may partially recognize others
voice if of the same sex.

And, as usual :"I am in no way affiliated with Articulate Systems, Inc
and I only give here my testimony as a satisfied buyer".

Arnaud.
--
   /======================//==========================================/
  / Arnaud Gourdol.      // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/31/91)

In article <3151@beguine.UUCP>, danielg@med.unc.edu (Daniel Gene Sinclair) writes:

> . . . It's called the Voice Navigator II

About two weeks ago I visited a dealer and made a few calls to Articulate
Systems (the company that makes the VNII) and got a few brochures in the mail.
First of all, it costs about $600.  It is an SCSI device with an 8-bit A-D
converter and a DSP chip (I forget the kind of DSP) running at 16 MHz or so.  I
think it requires 2 megs of RAM, but I'm not sure.  The brochures are
elsewhere.  Since the DSP does all the work, very little load (if any) is put
on the Mac processor, and also because of this, it makes no use of the built in
microphones on the IIsi and LC while providing all their functionality.

You train it to recognize your certain sounds, not necessarily words.  In other
words, you can teach it to recognize when you say 'cut' but it won't recognize
when your mother says 'cut' unless she has exactly the same voice as you or you
teach it to recognize your mother's 'cut'.  There didn't seem to be any limit
on how many sounds it could recognize, so you could conceivably have it
recognize the 200 or so words you use most often and then spell out the less
common words.

Apparently it is connected to the system the same way MacroMaker is.  Instead
of being activated by certain keystrokes or menu clicks it is activated by the
sounds you make.  It seems to be essentially a front-end for MacroMaker, if you
will.  Of course, it doesn't require MacroMaker, but it works the same way,
using sound to generate fake keystrokes or mouse action.  In addition, like
MacroMaker, you can have certain sounds associated with only certain programs.

What would make the product even more attractive would be if it had some sort
of command language, whereby you could dictate actions not expressible as
simple macros.  Imagine it being able to interpret this:  "go to the finder.
copy the correspondence folder to the internal drive and eject the disk. go to
Word 4. replace attractive with amazing. change font to palatino. change font
to times. save. print on laserwriter. quit. shut down."  This might be a little
complicated, and would probably require recognition of text on the screen, but
would be excruciatingly cool.  Perhaps a first step should be vocal operation
of controls like buttons, scroll bars, check boxes, and menus.

So, from what I have gathered, the Voice Navigator II is not a SpeakWrite, nor
is it a general speech recognizer like the one Kurzweil makes, but it does
appear to be a solid product.  And considering the technology required to
recognize even simple sounds, $600 does not seem unreasonable--it is much more
than a MacRecorder.

By the way, my only connection to Articulate Systems is that I know their phone
number and they know my address, though they have probably forgotten that by
now...

------------------------
Randall Cook
rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu
------------------------

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (04/09/91)

Hi! I'm a software engineer at Articulate Systems, so I am more than
happy to fill you in on this wonderful product :-) Disclaimer: Articulate
pays my salary and controls my life. I work on the Voice Navigator development
team. So take everything I say with that in mind...

In article <1991Mar30.132344.41036@eagle.wesleyan.edu> rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>> . . . It's called the Voice Navigator II
>>

>You train it to recognize your certain sounds, not necessarily words. In other
>words, you can teach it to recognize when you say 'cut' but it won't recognize
>when your mother says 'cut' unless she has exactly the same voice as you oryou
>teach it to recognize your mother's 'cut'.  There didn't seem to be any limit
>on how many sounds it could recognize, so you could conceivably have it
>recognize the 200 or so words you use most often and then spell out the less
>common words.

Better than that - it allows you to create hierarchically structured languages
with 200 words on *each level* so with proper structuring, there is no
limit to the number of words you can train and have recognized. What do I mean
by this? Lets say you have a language with commands that you find in a menu
bar: Apple File Edit View Special etc... then on the next level you have
commands that you find _in_ the menus: New Open Save Print etc... so this
allows you greatly expanded voice recognition and better accuracy.

The VN also allows you to have different people train different voice files,
so your mom can have her own voice file. This means you can easily set it up
to recognize either you or your mom, and switch between the two at will.

>Apparently it is connected to the system the same way MacroMaker is.  Instead
>of being activated by certain keystrokes or menu clicks it is activated by the
>sounds you make. It seems to be essentially a front-end for MacroMaker, if you
>will.  Of course, it doesn't require MacroMaker, but it works the same way,
>using sound to generate fake keystrokes or mouse action.  In addition, like
>MacroMaker, you can have certain sounds associated with only certain programs.
>
>What would make the product even more attractive would be if it had some sort
>of command language, whereby you could dictate actions not expressible as
>simple macros.  Imagine it being able to interpret this:  "go to the finder.
>copy the correspondence folder to the internal drive and eject the disk. go to
>Word 4. replace attractive with amazing. change font to palatino. change font
>to times. save. print on laserwriter. quit. shut down."  This might be a
little
>complicated, and would probably require recognition of text on the screen, but
>would be excruciatingly cool.

Thanks :-) We can do most of what you ask, right now. The Voice Navigator
system comes with a fairly complete set of scripting commands which allow you
to control most aspects of the Macintosh interface. You can do things like
copy folders, eject disks, start word processors, replace text, change fonts,
print, quit, and shut down. A lot of this can be done with the prepackaged
languages we provide with each VN, but you'll have to create custom macros
on your own (there is a program called Language Maker included which helps
you do this.)

Future releases of Voice Navigator software will offer much greater
functionality. System 7 will provide spiffy new ways of communicating with
applications, and we'll be able to exploit that fully. But we can do everything
you asked for, right now.

>So, from what I have gathered, the Voice Navigator II is not a SpeakWrite, nor
>is it a general speech recognizer like the one Kurzweil makes, but it does
>appear to be a solid product.  And considering the technology required to
>recognize even simple sounds, $600 does not seem unreasonable--it is much more
>than a MacRecorder.
>
>------------------------
>Randall Cook
>rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu
>------------------------

------------------------

You bet.  By the way, we do provide all the functionality of products like the
MacRecorder, built right in to the Voice Navigator. That is, you can do good
quality sound input (audio digitizing up to 22khz) through the Navigator. But
The VN is much more than that. And getter better all the time! If you have any
input about future products, or how we can improve or present products, I'd
love to hear from you. My email address is dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu or you
can call me at ASI, (617) 876-5236.

_Dan Schwarz
Software Engineer, Articulate Systems
--
| And the men who hold | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| high places/ Must be | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | PEACE IN THE GULF|