[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Serial Port Jammed

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (04/04/91)

I have a macintosh that claims that its modem port is in use 'by
another application' whenever I try to access the port, via a terminal
emulator.  I have tried rebooting the mac, turning off appleshare and
zapping the pram, all to no avail.

I recall that about 2 years ago, some people had similar problems
after running MIDI software, and that a utility is available to fix
just this problem.  I have looked around sumex, the BMUG CD, and the
NYMUG CD, all to no avail.

I would appreciate any pointers to this utility, or any other way to
solve the problem.  I would rather not replace a motherboard, which is
the dealer's suggestion.

The mac SE is running system 6.0.5 (or was it 6.0.7), MacTerminal
2.3.1, and is directly connected to our vax via a 9600 baud serial
line.

--
          William C. DenBesten |        denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET  denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (04/05/91)

In article <7244@bgsuvax.UUCP> you write:
> I have a macintosh that claims that its modem port is in use 'by
> another application' whenever I try to access the port, via a terminal
> emulator.  I have tried rebooting the mac, turning off appleshare and
> zapping the pram, all to no avail.
This is a very strange thing.  I seem to remember something to this effect happe
ning once.  Are you connected using appletalk?  If not check in the chooser to m
ake sure appletalk to turned off.  Also check to make sure that the imagewriter
driver in the chooser is not set up to the modem port.  If the imagewriter is se
lected as the modem port, the mac may mistakenly think that port is in use when
you really try to use a modem.

Play around with this.  I'm sure your problem lies therein.

Good luck,
Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

In article <ARIE.91Apr4110603@dip.eecs.umich.edu>, arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) writes:

> | I have a macintosh that claims that its modem port is in use 'by
> | another application' whenever I try to access the port, via a terminal
> | emulator.  I have tried rebooting the mac, turning off appleshare and
> | zapping the pram, all to no avail.
>

> I had the same problem on Mac IIx with System 6.0.7 loaded and the
> solution was to zap the PRAM.  I don't know if this is what was
> suggested before but this worked in my case.

Sometimes you do need to zap the PRAM more than one time.  For safety, try it three or so times.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

os@primerd.prime.com (04/06/91)

Re: Busy Serial Port

I seem to remember some discussion awhile back related to MIDI applications
locking up the serial port, particularly if exited uncleanly.  I don't remember
if the problem stayed around from boot to boot.  I thought there was a DA or
other application that was mentioned that one could run to clear the condition.

Jim Cook
<J.COOK@ENS.Prime.COM>
"Just my misinformation.  Prime has all it needs."

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (04/06/91)

Sorry, I tried to e-mail to "denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten)
 but it bounced. I was going to suggest that he and others with a similar
problem (as stat{d in his recent message to the net):

| I have a macintosh that claims that its modem port is in use 'by
| another application' whenever I try to access the port, via a terminal
| emulator.  I have tried rebooting the mac, turning off appleshare and
| zapping the pram, all to no avail.

might want to look for a small utility titled "SPConfig" which resets the
serial ports to "normal?"  I found it on our local BBS, and think it may well
be available quite broadly.  It is very small, about 1.2Kb. and does the job
quite well on MacPlus, SE, SE30, IIci, and IIfx.

Luck
| IMAGISTICS Business Theatre Technology | Rick McCormack |
|  Interactive   Effective   Compelling  | Vancouver,  BC |
|________________________________________|________________|
|  UseNet: Rick_McCormack@mindlink.uucp  |  A O-L: Rique  |
|_________________________________________________________|
.

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (04/09/91)

In article <226700012@primerd>, os@primerd.prime.com writes:
> I seem to remember some discussion awhile back related to MIDI applications
> locking up the serial port, particularly if exited uncleanly.

Yup, that's happened to me. Even, sometimes, when exiting cleanly.

> I don't remember
> if the problem stayed around from boot to boot.

Yup. Or the problem can just appear.

> I thought there was a DA or
> other application that was mentioned that one could run to clear the condition.

spconfig_reset will often clear it. Or, running a non MIDI-manager
application for a second or two.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/11/91)

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:

>| I have a macintosh that claims that its modem port is in use 'by
>| another application' whenever I try to access the port, via a terminal
>| emulator.  I have tried rebooting the mac, turning off appleshare and
>| zapping the pram, all to no avail.

I also had a serial port that was jammed but in a different manner.  I
finally found that it was caused by a noisey power supply.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =