[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple 13" RGB Won't Turn On and Stay On

balg0514@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Brian Allen Levine) (03/24/91)

The other day I went to turn on my Mac II system like I've done hundreds
of other times.  This time, however, the monitor wouldn't turn on and
stay on.  More specifically, everything powered up and stayed up except
for the monitor.  The monitor's power-on light lit for a moment, and
then went dead.  Nothing ever appeared on the monitor itself.

I replicated this phenomenon several times within a half hour or so.  I
then took the monitor into a local Apple dealer, and he replicated the
problem on his Mac II system, so I left the monitor for service.  A
couple days and telephone calls later, I learned that the service man
was unable to replicate the problem.  Now the monitor seems to work fine
on my home system again.

It seemed prudent to purchase a year's AppleCare on the monitor, so
that's what I did.  I hate these kinds of intermittent mechanical
problems, though!  I can almost recall seeing other notes on the net
about this same sort of problem.  If you've experienced problems
similar to mine, would you let me know?

Thanks...

--
Brian A. Levine                          |   Bitnet: brianlev@uiucvmd
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign | Internet: brianlev@uiuc.edu

thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) (03/28/91)

From article <1991Mar23.224435.4972@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by balg0514@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Brian Allen Levine):
> The other day I went to turn on my Mac II system like I've done hundreds
> of other times.  This time, however, the monitor wouldn't turn on and
> stay on.  More specifically, everything powered up and stayed up except
> for the monitor.  The monitor's power-on light lit for a moment, and
> then went dead.  Nothing ever appeared on the monitor itself.
>
> I replicated this phenomenon several times within a half hour or so.  I
> then took the monitor into a local Apple dealer, and he replicated the
> problem on his Mac II system, so I left the monitor for service.  A
> couple days and telephone calls later, I learned that the service man
> was unable to replicate the problem.  Now the monitor seems to work fine
> on my home system again.

I've been having the same problem. There has been a lot of discussion in the
past in this newsgroup on Apple 13" monitor problems, but I doubt whether this
is the same problem (the other problem was monitors spontaneously switching
off *after some use*, this problem is monitors refusing to switch on).
The problem is intermittent; sometimes I'm OK for weeks, sometimes it happens
twice a week (which is as bad as it gets; not bad enough for a service guy
to wait for, I'm afraid).
When the problem occurs, you can hear the relay inside the monitor clicking on
and immediately off again. Normally, it clicks off after a few seconds, when
the picture has come on.
Turning the monitor off (with the switch on the back) and back on a few minutes
later usually does the trick, but not always, and it is *very* annoying.

 - Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

hirst@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Steve Hirst) (03/28/91)

I had my RGB fail is a similar manner and it would work for
a week or better and then either fail to come on or switch off
after increasingly short periods of time.  Since, I it was
my second monitor I basically let it continue to fail until
it wouldn't turn no 'reliably' then I took it to be serviced.
The service department at the university replaced the
"high voltage assembly" and it has work reliably since then.

hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (03/29/91)

I was able to fix a monitor that did the same exact things listed in the
following articles.  I am curious to find out what others have done to
repair their Apple monitors and if there are others who have suffered
this problem.  Please e-mail.

Leonard

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/29/91)

In article <1271@duteca4.UUCP> thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes:
>From article <1991Mar23.224435.4972@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by balg0514@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Brian Allen Levine):
.> The other day I went to turn on my Mac II system like I've done hundreds
.> of other times.  This time, however, the monitor wouldn't turn on and
.> stay on.  More specifically, everything powered up and stayed up except
.> for the monitor.  The monitor's power-on light lit for a moment, and
.> then went dead.  Nothing ever appeared on the monitor itself.

-I've been having the same problem. There has been a lot of discussion in the
-past in this newsgroup on Apple 13" monitor problems, but I doubt whether this
-is the same problem (the other problem was monitors spontaneously switching
-off *after some use*, this problem is monitors refusing to switch on).
-The problem is intermittent; sometimes I'm OK for weeks, sometimes it happens
-twice a week (which is as bad as it gets; not bad enough for a service guy
-to wait for, I'm afraid).
-When the problem occurs, you can hear the relay inside the monitor clicking on
-and immediately off again. Normally, it clicks off after a few seconds, when
-the picture has come on.
-Turning the monitor off (with the switch on the back) and back on a few minutes
-later usually does the trick, but not always, and it is *very* annoying.

Sorry for the long include, but the symptoms are indicative.  I had the same
problem with my SONY CDP-1302, which is basically the same guts as the Apple
monitor.  The problem was: The high voltage multiplier "stick" was failing
(probably a bad capacitor).  Replacing the multiplier fixed it.  The problem
started as shutdown only on a cold start, then after a few hours, then after
half an hour, then instantly on every start.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

ajb@cs.brown.edu (Atul Butte) (04/02/91)

I experienced the same symptoms with my monitor a month ago, and I posted
asking for advice.  Here's a summary:

The symptoms my monitor was showing were shutting off after a minute or
so of use.  The green LED light would turn off.  Upon turning the monitor
on again, the monitor would promptly turn off again.
Waiting a while (around 30 minutes) would bring the monitor out of the
"mode", and I would be able to use it for a little while.
Note that the monitor DID NOT have to be on all day for this to happen.
It often happened the first time I used it.

I got several responses from  DBG%SLACVM.BITNET, 6500erik%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu
(Erik Adams), waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.),
rhutchin@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU, ckw@apple.com (Chris Wigginton),
Marc T. Kaufman <kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,  t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu,
hoepfner@heawk1 (Patrick Hoepfner), Dan Filiberti <dan@helios.ece.arizona.edu>,
root@MMUG.EDGAR.MN.ORG (Tony Austinson), Leigh Hume <lhume@spam.ua.oz.au>, and
fratus@mgaid1.niaid.nih.gov (John Fratus).

Several people reported the problem would go away upon wiggling the power
cord (or even unplugging and plugging the plug).  One suggested the problem
was oxidation and poor contact of the plug. I tried this with some immediate
improvement, but the problem would always reappear.

Two people suggested a heat problem, and one suggested there was an
autoshutdown feature in the monitor.  I disagree with these ideas, though,
because the monitor did not have to be warm to show the problem.

The rest suggested the problem was either the power supply or the
high voltage capacitor.  I had the power supply in my monitor replaced,
BUT IT STILL SHOWED THE SAME PROBLEMS.  I then had the old power supply
reinstalled, and the high voltage capacitor fixed, and the problem seems
to have disappeared.

Several people reported that they have also heard of others experiencing
the same problems... maybe this SHOULD be passed on to Apple....

My monitor was 2.5 years old when this started... my advice to ANYONE
owning an Apple 13" RGB that old is to get AppleCare for it (especially
if you are educationally affiliated, where it's probably only around $30/year).
The MINIMUM repair cost for the cheapest part in the monitor seems to be
around $90...

Atul Butte
Brown University
atul@brownvm.brown.edu

weigel@DPW.COM (William Weigel) (04/03/91)

     I had a similar problem with my RGB monitor.  The odd thing I noticed
was that it seemed to occur more frequently with high humidity (i.e., when
it was raining).  I tried to get it serviced several times, but they could
never get it to fail.  Finally, they gave up and traded me for a different
monitor.

     By the way, Computer Era in New York (which sells huge amounts of
Apple inventory) told me that they had never seen this problem before in
their service department.  Based upon the amount of discussion in this
newsgroup, however, the problem appears to be a recurring one.
(Computer Ear was not the company that ultimately serviced my unit.)

pfterry@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/06/91)

In article <1991Mar28.171514.17209@groucho>, hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu writes:
> I was able to fix a monitor that did the same exact things listed in the
> following articles.  I am curious to find out what others have done to
> repair their Apple monitors and if there are others who have suffered
> this problem.  Please e-mail.
>
> Leonard

My local Apple service tech replaced all of the components in the
monitor except for the tube before he was able to get the monitor to
come on and stay on. However, the screen was so blue (the opposite of
the lack of no blue hue problem) that I had trouble looking at it for
any length of time. The monitor wasn't even a year old, and we had to
badger Apple for a month before they gave me a brand new monitor.

As a side note: When I called the 800 customer service line, the rep
said I could purchase Apple care if I was worried that the monitor in
it's "fixed" state wouldn't last. She didn't seem to care that the
colors were hopelessly wrong.

Fred Terry

> In article <1271@duteca4.UUCP> thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes:
>>From article <1991Mar23.224435.4972@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by balg0514@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Brian Allen Levine):
>>> The other day I went to turn on my Mac II system like I've done hundreds
>>> of other times.  This time, however, the monitor wouldn't turn on and
>>> stay on.  More specifically, everything powered up and stayed up except
>>> for the monitor.  The monitor's power-on light lit for a moment, and
>>> then went dead.  Nothing ever appeared on the monitor itself.
>>>
>>> I replicated this phenomenon several times within a half hour or so.  I
>>> then took the monitor into a local Apple dealer, and he replicated the
>>> problem on his Mac II system, so I left the monitor for service.  A
>>> couple days and telephone calls later, I learned that the service man
>>> was unable to replicate the problem.  Now the monitor seems to work fine
>>> on my home system again.
>>
>>I've been having the same problem. There has been a lot of discussion in the
>>past in this newsgroup on Apple 13" monitor problems, but I doubt whether this
>>is the same problem (the other problem was monitors spontaneously switching
>>off *after some use*, this problem is monitors refusing to switch on).
>>The problem is intermittent; sometimes I'm OK for weeks, sometimes it happens
>>twice a week (which is as bad as it gets; not bad enough for a service guy
>>to wait for, I'm afraid).
>>When the problem occurs, you can hear the relay inside the monitor clicking on
>>and immediately off again. Normally, it clicks off after a few seconds, when
>>the picture has come on.
>>Turning the monitor off (with the switch on the back) and back on a few minutes
>>later usually does the trick, but not always, and it is *very* annoying.
>>
>> - Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

**                              **                                    **
**  Fred Terry                  **    If you turn the crank of a      **
**  Kansas Geological Survey    **    sausage machine backwards,      **
**  Univ. of Kansas             **    pigs don't come out the         **
**  Lawrence, KS  66047         **    other end.                      **
**  pfterry@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu  **                    --Cliff Stoll   **
**                              **                                    **

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/07/91)

Me too...

First, the monitor at work would start switching off at random times, then
it started to refuse to power on after it swithced off. I sent it in for
repair and it has worked after that.

A month ago my monitor at home started doing the same thing. So far it has
worked after a short wait, but I guess it will fail eventually.

Does anyone at Apple know what the problem could be? Both monitors arrived
at the same time. The manufacturing date on this one seems to be August 1987.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.193738.3663@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:

>First, the monitor at work would start switching off at random times, then
>it started to refuse to power on after it swithced off. I sent it in for
>repair and it has worked after that.
>Does anyone at Apple know what the problem could be? Both monitors arrived
>at the same time. The manufacturing date on this one seems to be August 1987.

I don't know if anyone at Apple knows, but *I* know.
The high voltage multiplier assembly is failing.  Get it replaced.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu (04/10/91)

Munkki) writes:

>>First, the monitor at work would start switching off at random times, then
>>it started to refuse to power on after it swithced off. I sent it in for
>>repair and it has worked after that.
>>Does anyone at Apple know what the problem could be? Both monitors arrived
>>at the same time. The manufacturing date on this one seems to be August 1987.
>
>I don't know if anyone at Apple knows, but *I* know.
>The high voltage multiplier assembly is failing.  Get it replaced.
>
>Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

OK, here's the real answer...

There are two things than can go wrong or three if you count both of the
following as one possiblity.

The high voltage capicitor can go bad which is most likely or the high
voltage multiplier assembly as mentioned above.

What is happening is the high voltate cap is going bad slowely and it causes
the power supply to work a little harder. It has a thermal protection circuit
that senses the overwork and shuts down the whole power supply.

The problem can sometimes be relieved for awhile by turning down the intensity
adjustment in the back (the very top hole behind the cover)

I suspect if the multiplier assembly is replaced it may fix the problem
temporarly but the bad capicitor will come back to get you again. These high
voltage caps have a tendancy to break down after awhile.

The high voltage caps run about $80 (OUCH!) and can be replaced yourself *IF*
(YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING) I replaced my own without incident (Electrocution
for one!) Or your Apple dealer will replace it for you for $150 or so. It
might be possilbe to get this part cheaper from Sony but I never found out the
answer to that one. I did check out all  the Mac repair places I could find in
the rags but no one carried the part. I just found an Apple dealer who would
sell me just the part.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah
t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.190649.3690@fcom.cc.utah.edu> t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr7.172747.19637@neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU
>(Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr6.193738.3663@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri
>Munkki) writes:
>>

>The high voltage caps run about $80 (OUCH!) and can be replaced yourself *IF*
>(YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING) I replaced my own without incident (Electrocution
>for one!) Or your Apple dealer will replace it for you for $150 or so. It
>might be possilbe to get this part cheaper from Sony but I never found out the
>answer to that one. I did check out all  the Mac repair places I could find in
>the rags but no one carried the part. I just found an Apple dealer who would
>sell me just the part.

According to Larry Pina, (I know I'm always quoting Larry!), the Sony
part numbers are identical to the Apple part numbers *except* that two
digits in the middle of the number are reversed.  I.e.  if the Apple
part number is 1234567890, then the Sony number would be something like
1234657890.  I don't know what the actual digits are that were swapped,
Larry was telling me this from memory, but someone out there might
want to check it out and report back.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."