[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIsi bugs ?

kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) (04/04/91)

The si I use at work seems to have some interesting problems/bugs. The thing
is, I can't decide if it's the op sys or the machine.
Anyone out there familiar with the following :

 - On occasion, controls become active without the mouse button.
   e.g. when in the control panel, all controls become active (including
	lists) just by passing the mouse pointer over them.

 - When using various INITS (particularly Aask), a "List Manager Not Present"
   error occurs and the machine bombs on startup.

Insights? Suggestions? Advice?

kevin kinsey

kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu
UCNS
University of Georgia
Athens, GA

strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.004049.11535@athena.cs.uga.edu> kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) writes:
> - On occasion, controls become active without the mouse button.
>   e.g. when in the control panel, all controls become active (including
>	lists) just by passing the mouse pointer over them.

This is the mouse-up problem that has been mentioned before.  I previous
posting stated that this is a probably a bug in System 6.0.7, as it has
been seen on machines other than the IIsi.

	Steve Strange
	UC Berkeley

tneu1@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Steve Linnerooth) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.004049.11535@athena.cs.uga.edu>, kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) writes:
>The si I use at work seems to have some interesting problems/bugs. The thing
>is, I can't decide if it's the op sys or the machine.

> - On occasion, controls become active without the mouse button.
>   e.g. when in the control panel, all controls become active (including
>	lists) just by passing the mouse pointer over them.

  I've had this problem on the Mac IIsi as well.  It acts as if the mouse
button gets "stuck" down, because I've dragged things, and let go of the mouse
button, and they still are being dragged.
  My conclusion is that this is a software problem, because I run 6.0.7 on the
Mac Classic and the IIcx, and I've had this problem on these machines too;
However, It seems to happen with a lot higher frequency on the IIsi than on any
other machine.
              ```````````````````````````'''''''''''''''''''''''''
              `    Steve Linnerooth     `' Iowa State University '
              ` tneu1@ccvax.iastate.edu `'      Ames, Iowa       '
              ```````````````````````````'''''''''''''''''''''''''

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/04/91)

From article <1991Apr4.012021.3743@agate.berkeley.edu>, by strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange):
|> - On occasion, controls become active without the mouse button.
|>   e.g. when in the control panel, all controls become active (including
|>	lists) just by passing the mouse pointer over them.
|>
| This is the mouse-up problem that has been mentioned before.  I previous
| posting stated that this is a probably a bug in System 6.0.7, as it has
| been seen on machines other than the IIsi.

But it has also been seen on systems other than 6.0.7, although that's
where the problem is predominant.
Here are the current results of the survey on hardware configuration
for people who have mice that lose mouse-up events periodically.

Machine				System
IIsi	13			6.0.7	21
SE/30	4			6.0.5	3
IIci	2
IIx	2
LC	1
IIfx	1

Total	23			Total	24

(totals are not the same because one person tried two System files on
the same machine).

There were two reports in which the mouse in question was swapped with
that on another machine.  In both cases the problem followed the mouse,
which seems to indicate a bad mouse.

One other person disassembled the mouse and found a partially snapped
piece of metal in the button assembly.

A similar problem was reported by one person running a IIcx, 6.0.7,
with a Kensington TurboMouse.

--
Paul DuBois                          "The 'C' shell usually doesn't have
dubois@primate.wisc.edu              have job control." -- LAN TIMES

warwick@oak.math.ucla.edu (Warwick Daw) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.012021.3743@agate.berkeley.edu> strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) writes:
>This is the mouse-up problem that has been mentioned before.  I previous
>posting stated that this is a probably a bug in System 6.0.7, as it has
>been seen on machines other than the IIsi.

I recently had my computer start thinking the mouse button was down after I
had released it (I assume this is what the "mouse-up" problem is). The only
change I made in my system was exchanging my old mouse (one of the AP serial
numbered mouses with horrible tracking) for a new mouse (a heavy-ball mouse
made somewhere in south-east asia). This indicates to me that the problem is
in the mouse, not the software. Also, I'm using 6.0.5 on an SE/30.

Warwick Daw (warwick@math.ucla.edu)

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/11/91)

I have this problem occasionally with one of my newer mice and
one of my older ones.  Since Apple changes mice around, and a mouse
is very intimate to me, I have 3 ADB mice, all different.

I have a IIfx, running System 7.0FC1

Steve