[comp.sys.mac.hardware] INFO Wanted on Track-ball mice substitutes

orca@starnet.uucp (Sarah Emily Liberman) (04/08/91)

Greetings...

I'm interested in purchasing a track-ball input device to replace my
conventional mouse.  I have seen many advertisements for Kensington's
TurboMouse ADB and Curtis' MVP Mouse, etc., etc...

Could somebody recommend/give comments about/describe experiences with
track-ball mice?  (eg, durability, ease/smootheness of use, size and
space considerations, cost, and so forth.)

Please send your messages VIA E-MAIL.  I'd really appreciate the information!

--sarah e. liberman
	orca@starnet.uucp
	orca%starnet@uunet.uu.net
	starnet!orca@apple.com
	...!apple!starnet!orca

wnn@ornl.gov (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.005905.12711@starnet.uucp> orca@starnet.uucp (Sarah Emily
Liberman) writes:
>I'm interested in purchasing a track-ball input device to replace my
>conventional mouse.

Take a look at Felix from Altra too. It's not a trackball!
IMHO it is as great an improvement over a trackball as the
trackball is over the mouse.
I have used a variety of mice and trackballs, but Felix is the pointing device
of my choice. It didn't work too well when it was originally released by
another company, but the latest version has very smooth operation and works
even faster than the best track balls.
Particularly if you have a large screen, such as two-page display, you don't
want to get an older model second hand.

Pointing devices probably are the hardware components of a computer system that
are subject to the greatest variation in personal preferences and subjective
judgement. You shouldn't buy them on someone else's recommendation. I was less
than completely satisfied with several of my previous choices. You really need
to try if for yourself, and you need quite a bit of time until you can make a
final judgement. Some that might seem strange and awkward to you during the
first few minutes our hours of use may turn out to be your favorite, as the
Felix did for me.

A trackball is probaly still the better choice for systems with multiple large
screens or with a virtual screen that substantially exceeds 2000 pixels in
either direction. I use an E-Machines Z-21 QuickView with a virtual screen size
of 2048x960 pixels. I could get more memory for a larger virtual screen area,
but I feel that it would become difficult to accurately position the cursor
without switching to precision mode. Altra supposedly works on revised software
and hardware to accommodate such special cases.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (OrchidFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/11/91)

wnn@ornl.gov writes:

>In article <1991Apr8.005905.12711@starnet.uucp> orca@starnet.uucp (Sarah Emily
>Liberman) writes:
>>I'm interested in purchasing a track-ball input device to replace my
>>conventional mouse.

>Take a look at Felix from Altra too. It's not a trackball!
>IMHO it is as great an improvement over a trackball as the
>trackball is over the mouse.

These devices require different amounts of coordination.  I am one who has
little of it and I have trouble with anything but a mouse.  You might like
to try each before you buy (if you can).  There are people at work who use
the Kensington Track Ball.  I have to sit down to use it and I have trouble
with them, but they work fine according to those w/ coordination and w/o
the deskspace for a mouse.

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

dave@cmi.com (David Halonen) (04/11/91)

I've used a Wacom pressure sensitive tablet for a month or so, and have
gone back to the mouse.  Most of my work is normal pointing, clicking,
dragging, and keyboard activity.  A pen must be picked up and put down
after each use, whereas the mouse stays in its place (both the hardware
and the cursor.)  The pen must be placed somewhere after each use (Wacom
supplies a convenient pen stand to park it in.)  I like to be able to just
let go of the device.  My other complaint is that pushing (downward) on
the pen isn't that great of a method for clicking.  This device generated
many erroneous clicks, that gets a little tiring.

I have seen good pen/tablet combinations used by professional CAD users.
Two striking conveniences:  A cord that attaches to the pen, such that the
pen can be suspended above the tablet.  You can just let go.  Usually a
little rubber band is included to provide the needed flexibility.  The
other advantage these devices had was a button on the side of the pen for
clicking - a very distinct and positive action.

Anyway, I'm back to the mouse (I don't like trackballs either - jeez is
this guy picky!)
Your mileage may vary.

David Halonen, Center for Machine Intelligence, Electronic Data Systems
Ann Arbor, MI (313) 995-0900
AppleLink: N0548  Internet: dave@cmi.com