[comp.sys.mac.hardware] PowerKey

rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (04/09/91)

	Has anybody out there used or is currently using PowerKey by
Sophisticated Circuits?  Supposedly it will allow you to turn on a Mac
SE with the switch on the ADB keyboard on the back.  The ad says you
can program powerups, or call your computer to turn it on.  There are
four surge protected outlets on it to plug in printers, modems, etc.
	Has anyone used this product?  Can you program powerdowns
also?  It looks like a good deal if it works as advertised.
	And, is anyone out there willing to part with one?

	Thanks in advance,
	Bob

       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   rhumphre@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

paryavi@cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.192721.26602@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) writes:
>	Has anybody out there used or is currently using PowerKey by
>Sophisticated Circuits?  Supposedly it will allow you to turn on a Mac
>SE with the switch on the ADB keyboard on the back.  The ad says you
>can program powerups, or call your computer to turn it on.  There are
>four surge protected outlets on it to plug in printers, modems, etc.
>	Has anyone used this product?  Can you program powerdowns
>also?  It looks like a good deal if it works as advertised.
>	And, is anyone out there willing to part with one?
>
>	Thanks in advance,
>	Bob

PowerKey is a fine product.  It definately does all the above mentioned
tasks gracefully.  You can turn on your Mac from the keyboard, and when you
select shut-down in the Special menu, it actually shuts the machine off.
You can also program it for powerups and powerdowns.  The way it handles
powerups is to use its own internal clock and when the scheduled power-on
time is reached, it simply switches on all the surge protected ports.  To
schedule powerdowns, it is a little bit more tricky!  You will have to use
Quickeys Light software that comes with the PowerKey.  You make a macro
to select the shut-down command from the Special menu and schedule PowerKey
to execute that macro at a certain time.  In fact, you can schedule any
event or chain of events using PowerKey and Quickeys macros.  Therefore,
you can effectively schedule your Mac to powerup at a certain time, perform
some operations, and then shut down.

There is only one thing that bothered me!  The PowerKey ad is misleading by
saying you can powerup the Mac remotely using a modem.  It turns out, PowerKey
by itself does not do this.  You will need to buy an optional cable, called
PowerKey remote to be able to perform remote powerups.

Overall, I like PowerKey alot, I just wish the remote cable came with it.

As for prices, MacAvenue has the lowest price that I have found at $64 +
$2 shipping.  PowerKey remote cable option will sell for about $40 extra.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU

carlo@osprey.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (04/10/91)

>There is only one thing that bothered me!  The PowerKey ad is misleading by
>saying you can powerup the Mac remotely using a modem.  It turns out, PowerKey
>by itself does not do this.  You will need to buy an optional cable, called
>PowerKey remote to be able to perform remote powerups.
>
>Overall, I like PowerKey alot, I just wish the remote cable came with it.
>
>--
>Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
>Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU
>UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi	Manhattan, KS  66506

I felt even more misled; the ads for the remote wakeup cable say something
to the effect that it allows a Mac equipped with PowerKey to be turned on
through a modem. Actually, you don't need the PowerKey at all for that
purpose. If all you need to do is turn on your mac using a modem (ie
calling it up on the phone) all you need is the wakeup cable (in fact all
you need seems to be to short the correct pins on the adb line, but that's
a whole different project - kids don't try this at home, of course).

--
carlo@cvs.rochester.edu      |
carlo@white.stanford.edu     |    We always remember you have a choice.

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (04/12/91)

In article <13296@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@osprey.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>I felt even more misled; the ads for the remote wakeup cable say something
>to the effect that it allows a Mac equipped with PowerKey to be turned on
>through a modem. Actually, you don't need the PowerKey at all for that
>purpose. If all you need to do is turn on your mac using a modem (ie
>calling it up on the phone) all you need is the wakeup cable (in fact all
>you need seems to be to short the correct pins on the adb line, but that's
>a whole different project - kids don't try this at home, of course).

This is true.  Of course without the power key, external drives, and
other accesories that don't get their power directly from the Mac
won't power up.  And if you have an SE/30, and LC, a classic, a plus, or any
of the machines that can't be powered up from the keyboard, you'll need
a power key.  I think that is where they are targeting their market--the
people who have machines that don't boot up when you hit the power key
on the keyboard.  I think it's a great device, myself, and I use it on
a IIci to power up my external drives and my 2nd monitors.  It's a
great deal at only $65.

Tom

--
Tom Johnson             "I put this moment.............................here
tj@cs.ucla.edu           I put this moment......................here