[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HP IIISi

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/10/91)

>  I, however, am impressed with the LaserJet IIIsi from HP - it has
> a RISC chip customized for HPL 5 and PostScript, 17 ppm! 1000 page
> tray, Ethernet, Tolken ring and Appletalk options. Educational
> pricing seems reasonable (no idea what it goes for in the US).

Er, shouldn't that be "Tolkien" ring? :-)

I too am impressed by the HP printer, and most of the trade mags I read
seem to be as well.  I can't remember a printer that's been reviewed so
widely or enthusiastically so soon after it came out.

The 1000 page thing is especially nice.  Ed. price here for the
PostScript-equipped model with ethernet interface and 4MB extra
memory is only slightly more than $4K!

*Unfortunately*, the ethernet interface is for Novell or 3Com networks
only.  Anybody know if HP's going to come out with an interface that
UNIX machines can connect to (e.g., by telnetting to it)?  Or even
a LocalTalk interface?

(Yes, I know the quoted excerpt above says "Appletalk option", but I
haven't seen this anywhere else, e.g., not in HP literature.)

--
Paul DuBois                               "The 'C' shell usually doesn't
dubois@primate.wisc.edu                   have job control." -- LAN TIMES

mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au (04/10/91)

> The 1000 page thing is especially nice.  Ed. price here for the
> PostScript-equipped model with ethernet interface and 4MB extra memory
> is only slightly more than $4K!
>
> *Unfortunately*, the ethernet interface is for Novell or 3Com networks
> only.  Anybody know if HP's going to come out with an interface that
> UNIX machines can connect to (e.g., by telnetting to it)?  Or even a
> LocalTalk interface?

 Wow, the educational price in Australia is about A$8K! This includes
2Mb of RAM (total), PostScript and an under-the-counter AppleTalk
interface.

 Apparently HP aren't releasing their AppleTalk option until August/
September this year, but a dealer has found a third party source but
it is _very_ expensive. Even at this price the printer is better
value than the out-dated NTX printer which sells for about A$6K thro
consortiums here.

 I haven't seen the printer's (IIIsi) speed yet, I hope to give it
some Postscript benchmarks in the next week or two.

 I would be interested in any speed tests (eg. vs NTX) of the IIIsi
using PostScript if anyone happens to have any results.

 Regards,
 Malcolm

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (04/11/91)

In article <4188@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in
Neutral) writes:
>>  I, however, am impressed with the LaserJet IIIsi from HP - it has
>> a RISC chip customized for HPL 5 and PostScript, 17 ppm! 1000 page
>
>*Unfortunately*, the ethernet interface is for Novell or 3Com networks
>only.  Anybody know if HP's going to come out with an interface that
>UNIX machines can connect to (e.g., by telnetting to it)?  Or even
>a LocalTalk interface?

I have seen reports of a LocalTalk interface coming out this summer.

If you are looking at using the multiple PL (HPL or Postscript), keep in mind
that this printer does not switch automatically like a QMS 410/810 does.
Instead it must be sent a control sequence.  This is unfortunate, because it
sounds like a good candidate for a multi-platform, networked printer.  Without
an internal ability to sense the PL needed by the print job, it would appear
that a printer daemon is needed for this task.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/12/91)

From article <1991Apr10.184719.1554@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu>, by dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu:
> If you are looking at using the multiple PL (HPL or Postscript), keep in mind
> that this printer does not switch automatically like a QMS 410/810 does.
> Instead it must be sent a control sequence.  This is unfortunate, because it
> sounds like a good candidate for a multi-platform, networked printer.  Without
> an internal ability to sense the PL needed by the print job, it would appear
> that a printer daemon is needed for this task.

Depends on the environment.  If you have BSD lpr, you can just define
two printers, say lp-ps and lp-hpl, and define different printer filters
for each.  The filter would send the appropriate magic trash ahead of
the file to be printed.

--
Paul DuBois                               "The 'C' shell usually doesn't
dubois@primate.wisc.edu                   have job control." -- LAN TIMES

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/12/91)

> [me]
> Depends on the environment.  If you have BSD lpr, you can just define
> two printers, say lp-ps and lp-hpl, and define different printer filters
> for each.  The filter would send the appropriate magic trash ahead of
> the file to be printed.

This is pretty stupid, come to think of it.  If you have BSD lpr, the
filter, in effect, acts as the printer daemon previously suggested.
So only one queue is needed, and the problem is still solved.

Duh. Think, *then* post.