[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ImagewriterII printing problems

rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (04/13/91)

	I'm having an annoying problem with my ImagewriterII.  Every
first line of a page, it compresses it really bad, and then continues
printing fine.  It just started doing this a few weeks ago, and it's
started getting worse (i.e. more frequently), to the point that now it
does it on almost every page.
	Has anybody had a similar problem, and more importantly, does
anybody have a solution?

	Thanks in advance,
	Bob

       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   rhumphre@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.171219.1907@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> rhumphre@silver.ucs.in
diana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) writes:

>       I'm having an annoying problem with my ImagewriterII.  Every
>first line of a page, it compresses it really bad, and then continues
>printing fine.  It just started doing this a few weeks ago, and it's
>started getting worse (i.e. more frequently), to the point that now it
>does it on almost every page.
>       Has anybody had a similar problem, and more importantly, does
>anybody have a solution?

Well, I had a simular problem when printing some documents (those with text
near the top of the page).

Here was my theory:  When tearing off the previous page, the tension pulled
the paper forward a bit in the pin feeds.  Then when printing, the initial
linefeed was not quite as big as usual, since the paper would be sliding back
to its initial position in the pin feed holes (note the the IW prints the
top and bottom portions of most lines on seperate passes).

Solutions:

1) Issue a form-feed from the front panel before beginning to print. OR

2) (my personal favorite) Set the printer feed to the position beteen tractor
and friction (mine has a small detent there).  This sets the printer to tractor
AND friction feed.  Friction feed grabs the paper more securely than tractor
feed.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)