[comp.sys.mac.hardware] repairing memory slots on a mac

msolda@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (m solda) (04/10/91)

hi.

i recently had a problem installing memory into a mac iicx.  the clips that
hold the memory in place were broken off.  currently, the newly installed
memory is held in place with glue (and working).  i have heard from an
associate that there is a place that will reapir the memory banks for such
just a reason (the clips have broken off) without having to replace the
cpu board.  does anyone have the name of this (or any) establishment?

please respond by mail as i don't read this newsgroup regularly.

thanks.

msolda@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (04/11/91)

We have some people here at the univeristy that like to bust off ram simm
clips too.  If anyone knows of a way to fix them, or get them fixed with
out swapping out the logic board, I have at least 4 MacII logib board
with rubber bands holding in simms!!

ctfm

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (04/13/91)

msolda@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (m solda) writes:

>hi.

>i recently had a problem installing memory into a mac iicx.  the clips that
>hold the memory in place were broken off.  currently, the newly installed
>memory is held in place with glue (and working).  i have heard from an
>associate that there is a place that will reapir the memory banks for such
>just a reason (the clips have broken off) without having to replace the
>cpu board.  does anyone have the name of this (or any) establishment?

>please respond by mail as i don't read this newsgroup regularly.

>thanks.

	Yes. It certainly is a problem. I repair at least a couple a week.
We have been repairing the SIMM sockets with the newer white type (204)
which can withstand being bent right back without breaking.

 Todate we have replaced inxs of 100 faulty simm sockets. it appears to have
 been a bad choice on apples behalf in socket selection.
 I can replace the faulty sockets with original
replacements, or i can install the prefered SUN type, plug-in. These plug
in type are similar to a miniature PC expansion socket that has an excellent
positive action. The simm is inserted in to socket like a miniature expanison   card, which is far better than the clip-in types. We have had no problems
what so ever with the newer type sockets. The charge for replacement is
$20 labour, and $25 for each socket requiring replacement. Thats in $AU.

	Considering you location, it may not feasible to organise repairs, as
I am sure local people certainly have the ability to preform such work.

But if you are still stuck, and its becomming a problem. Drop me a line and
I may organise to ship them here for service, or put together a kit and
instruction, so that an experienced person can do the procedure.

see how you go ay'

steve h

But considering you location, it may not fea