[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac + Solder Joints

earhard@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mark Earhard) (04/10/91)

I have a Mac plus that seems to be developing the standard old solder joint
problem:  After about an hour the screen turns off, then by tapping the
side of the computer, or by squeezing the sides together, he could get it to
come back on.  Now, however, it is realy bad.

Does anyone know which joints need to be re-done?  I could re-solder them
without much problem if I knew where to do it.

Any info on this process would be appreciated!

By the way-  Anyone know anything about Epson Printer drivers for the Mac?
I've got a serial printer that behaves like an epson and no driver!

Marcus.

keithl@loop.uucp (Keith Lofstrom;;;628-3645) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr9.204332.15796@cs.dal.ca> earhard@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mark Earhard) writes:
>I have a Mac plus that seems to be developing the standard old solder joint
>problem:  After about an hour the screen turns off, then by tapping the
>side of the computer, or by squeezing the sides together, he could get it to
>come back on.  Now, however, it is realy bad.
>
>Does anyone know which joints need to be re-done?  I could re-solder them
>without much problem if I knew where to do it.

It's more than likely connector J1, the 4 pin white Molex connector that
goes to the horizontal deflection yoke off the video/power supply board
on the left side.  When you open up the Mac, you will probably find some
brown char on the board, the connector, or the board cover.  You should
probably replace the connectors if this is so.

If it isn't that obvious, just go over the video board with a magnifying glass and
look for cracks in the solder.  Also, unplug and reconnect all the connectors.

You may wish to buy the book "Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets" by Larry
Pina, from Hayden Books for $33.  Also, a repair kit to upgrade the commonly
failing components is available for approx $55 from Soft Solutions, Eugene,
OR,  (503) 461-1136.

Lastly, find someone who can install a cooling fan.  It could cut failure rates
in half.

Keep 'em flying!

--
Keith Lofstrom  keithl@loop.uucp ...!sun!nosun!loop!keithl (503)628-3645
Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Power ICs

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr12.155219.4252@loop.uucp>, keithl@loop.uucp (Keith Lofstrom;;;628-3645) writes:
>You may wish to buy the book "Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets" by Larry
>Pina, from Hayden Books for $33.  Also, a repair kit to upgrade the commonly
>failing components is available for approx $55 from Soft Solutions, Eugene,
>OR,  (503) 461-1136.

>Lastly, find someone who can install a cooling fan.  It could cut failure rates
>in half.

	SoftSolutions also sells a fan for the Plus (or the SE, I
think...).  It runs for about $30 or so, and is *very* easy to install.
And, it's pretty quiet - I can't hear it over my hard drive.

  John Price                   | Internet: price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | SPAN:     uclapp::price
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.