[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIsi vs. IIci

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (02/06/91)

I haven't been able to read about the si in any detail. I'd appreciate comments
on how it compares to a IIci. Which is a better buy?

Thanks.

       Stephane

BPorter@world.std.com (Barry M Porter) (02/06/91)

The IIci, in my opinion, is a far better machine.  It has the math
co-processor built in, it can handle the power requirements of almost any
add-on board available, it is not clowed down by color built into the ROMS.
(clowed=slowed).
  It is FAR more expensive though, and you don't get that neat little
microphone that comes on the SI. The CI is more expandable at this time and
faster.
{   I hear on the street that the Mac LC is a better bargain for the price, if
you insist on getting one of the new machines.
    Hokay?     Just my 2 cents.  IleneH on AOL, Message Manager of BCS-Mac
TBBS (617-6256747), piggy backing on Barry's account....

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (02/07/91)

   {   I hear on the street that the Mac LC is a better bargain for the price, if
   you insist on getting one of the new machines.

You get what you pay for.  The LC is slower, and can't have an FPU.
If that doesn't matter, then go for it.  But somebody who's
considering a ci has probably elminated the LC, eh?

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (02/07/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Feb6125626@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>   {   I hear on the street that the Mac LC is a better bargain for the price, if
>   you insist on getting one of the new machines.
>

>You get what you pay for.  The LC is slower, and can't have an FPU.
>If that doesn't matter, then go for it.  But somebody who's
>considering a ci has probably elminated the LC, eh?

Well, in fact you can get a math coprocessor for the LC. There are many ways
to do this. You can get a software version for free( shareware?) or you can
get an Ethernet card from Dayna which includes the 881. There are other cards
as well. The data path for the LC is 16 bits, but unless you are planning on
running A/UX( not suppored anyway) or some other program best left to computers
other than Mac's anyways( eg. Mathematica), the LC is not a bad little computer
at all. What has struck, and disappointed, me is that the Mac's basically all
do the same thing. A IIfx is not all that much better than a II and a ci( which
I sold) is not all that much better than an SE/30 + Micron card( which I have).

I like Mac's, but their OS is not up to heavy duty work, whatever that is. So,
I in particular would certainly think of an LC, even though the ci would
also appeal. I hate to say this, but people thinking of getting high end Mac's
would probably be better off with a Ne..!

>--
>/=============================================================================\
>| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
>| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
>| University of Chicago		| Until you stalk and overrun,	     	      |
>| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	      |
>\=============================================================================/

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/09/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Feb6125626@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

> You get what you pay for.  The LC is slower, and can't have an FPU.

Better qualify this a bit.  You may not be able to buy a FPU from Apple,
but there are several third parties gearing up to produce LC cards and
add ons.  There will be a few FPU options for the LC, and I think at
least one has been released (based on hazy memory of the last MacWeek).

The LC appears to me to be filling a niche as the "Apple II+" of the Mac
line, the type of computer that will grow all kinds of wierd and wonderful
add on devices.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Ng) (04/15/91)

I currently own a Mac IIsi and was thinking about upgrading to a Mac
IIci.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to the pluses and
minuses of each computer? I would want to know if it would be worth it
to upgrade.  My current system is a 80/5 with a 13" color monitor.
Thanx in advance...

-Pete